Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeffrey Chang <je...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/31 14:02:25 UTC

svn:author revision property set to ^C

Hello,

I am using an FSFS-based SVN repository using svn 1.2.1 on linux.  The
repository is on a nfs-mounted drive.  I am accessing it via local
file (file://), and I am the only user of this repository.

A few days ago, I started seeing an odd behavior where when I "svn
commit" changes to the repository, the command fails with an error:
    [... commit messages]
    Transmitting file data .svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
    svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
    svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 6

I tracked this down to the .svn/log file containing an ETX (^C) character:
    <modify-entry
       committed-rev="1740"
       name="filefns.py"
       committed-date="2006-07-31T13:40:15.040549Z"
       last-author="^C"/>

The svn:author revision property in the <repository>/db/revprops/1740
file is similarly set incorrectly:
    svn:author
    V 1
    ^C
    K 8

That directory within the repository is locked and won't clean up
until I remove the log file and fix the revprops by hand.

Since this problem just started a few days ago, I suspect that the
problem stems from the network upgrades made at the same time
(although arguably svn should check to make sure the values it
receives will not generate files that muck up the repository).

Where does the value of svn:author come from?  Where would be a good
place for the IT folk to begin looking?  I am using default
pre-revprop-change and other scripts, so those should not be affecting
the value.

Thanks very much!

Jeff

Re: svn:author revision property set to ^C

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 7/31/06, Jeffrey Chang <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/07/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> > On 7/31/06, Jeffrey Chang <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [cut description of problem: svn:author gets set to ^C]
>
> > > Where does the value of svn:author come from?  Where would be a good
> > > place for the IT folk to begin looking?  I am using default
> > > pre-revprop-change and other scripts, so those should not be affecting
> > > the value.
> >
> > What exactly are you trying to do?  Debug how it got there in the
> > first place?  Or just make the problem go away?
>
> Top priority is to make the problem go away, permanently.  Figuring
> out how it got there would be a bonus.
>

> > If it's a fsfs repository it's not that hard to make the problem go
> > away (svn pset over file:// should be able to do it, if you've got a
> > pre-revprop-change hook that allows modification of svn:author,
> > alternatively you can tweak the revision's properties file on disk by
> > hand).  Tracking down where the problem came from is far more work.
>
> Yes, that works.  I can fix the properties file by hand, and the
> repository then appears to work normally.
>
> This occurs every time I check files into the repository.  So the
> procedure now is to svn commit, fix the revision properties, move the
> broken .svn/log, svn cleanup, and svn update to update the revision
> number (which didn't get updated in the broken svn commit); which is
> too painful to do every time.
>
> It appears that this error occurs only over file:// and not over
> svn+ssh://.  Since it looks like tracking down the problem will be
> difficult, maybe I'll just switch over to svn+ssh.  Are there any
> relatively easy tests I can do to see where the author might be
> getting messed up when accessing with file://?

Well, if I had to guess it's that your username is being cached as ^C
in ~/.subversion/auth/svn.username (which is used by file:// not
svn+ssh://), and you're using an old enough version of svn that it
doesn't validate that usernames shouldn't contain control characters.
Or, alternatively, I'm mistaken and there is no validation of
usernames, but I'm pretty sure there is.  I know we have validation on
other properties, since I've tracked down related problems in the
past.

-garrett

Re: svn:author revision property set to ^C

Posted by Jeffrey Chang <je...@gmail.com>.
On 31/07/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On 7/31/06, Jeffrey Chang <je...@gmail.com> wrote:

[cut description of problem: svn:author gets set to ^C]

> > Where does the value of svn:author come from?  Where would be a good
> > place for the IT folk to begin looking?  I am using default
> > pre-revprop-change and other scripts, so those should not be affecting
> > the value.
>
> What exactly are you trying to do?  Debug how it got there in the
> first place?  Or just make the problem go away?

Top priority is to make the problem go away, permanently.  Figuring
out how it got there would be a bonus.

> If it's a fsfs repository it's not that hard to make the problem go
> away (svn pset over file:// should be able to do it, if you've got a
> pre-revprop-change hook that allows modification of svn:author,
> alternatively you can tweak the revision's properties file on disk by
> hand).  Tracking down where the problem came from is far more work.

Yes, that works.  I can fix the properties file by hand, and the
repository then appears to work normally.

This occurs every time I check files into the repository.  So the
procedure now is to svn commit, fix the revision properties, move the
broken .svn/log, svn cleanup, and svn update to update the revision
number (which didn't get updated in the broken svn commit); which is
too painful to do every time.

It appears that this error occurs only over file:// and not over
svn+ssh://.  Since it looks like tracking down the problem will be
difficult, maybe I'll just switch over to svn+ssh.  Are there any
relatively easy tests I can do to see where the author might be
getting messed up when accessing with file://?

Thanks,

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 7/31/06, Jeffrey Chang <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using an FSFS-based SVN repository using svn 1.2.1 on linux.  The
> repository is on a nfs-mounted drive.  I am accessing it via local
> file (file://), and I am the only user of this repository.
>
> A few days ago, I started seeing an odd behavior where when I "svn
> commit" changes to the repository, the command fails with an error:
>     [... commit messages]
>     Transmitting file data .svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
>     svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
>     svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 6
>
> I tracked this down to the .svn/log file containing an ETX (^C) character:
>     <modify-entry
>        committed-rev="1740"
>        name="filefns.py"
>        committed-date="2006-07-31T13:40:15.040549Z"
>        last-author="^C"/>
>
> The svn:author revision property in the <repository>/db/revprops/1740
> file is similarly set incorrectly:
>     svn:author
>     V 1
>     ^C
>     K 8
>
> That directory within the repository is locked and won't clean up
> until I remove the log file and fix the revprops by hand.
>
> Since this problem just started a few days ago, I suspect that the
> problem stems from the network upgrades made at the same time
> (although arguably svn should check to make sure the values it
> receives will not generate files that muck up the repository).

In theory svn does verify that properties it sets (like svn:author)
won't muck up the repository.  If you've found a way to get control-c
in as svn:author, you've found a bug.