Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com> on 2004/10/04 13:31:11 UTC

Q&D Turbine Install?

>From the docs I read the best route is to install the TDK and go from
there, but I already have a functioning Tomcat installation used with
other projects so I'd rather not muck with that.  Is there another
method anyone can suggest to get Turbine up and running quickly with an
existing Tomcat v5.0.27 install?

I understand a 2.4 version of Turbine is on the horizon.  Should I just
install that instead?  I ask because I'm using this installation as a
proof of concept over using Struts so it would be advantageous if I
could make the install painless.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks - Tod

Re: Q&D Turbine Install?

Posted by Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com>.
Jeffery Painter wrote:

> I've been meaning to update the docs for downloading the old tdk 2.3 I put
> together... for now you can download from
>
> http://www.apache.org/~painter/tdk-2.3_01.tgz
>
> I suggest playing with META instead though as it is the most current 2.3
> work out there.

Thanks, I like META and Maven much better.  I am building the Turbine
META helloworld application now.

Tod

Re: Q&D Turbine Install?

Posted by Jeffery Painter <pa...@kiasoft.com>.

--
Thank you,

Jeffery Painter
President
Kiasoft, Inc.                       (919) 321-0378
    2431 Reunion Meadows Lane
    Apex, NC 27539

- --
painter@kiasoft.com                     http://kiasoft.com
PGP FP: 9CE8 83A2 33FA 32B1 0AB1  4E62 E4CB E4DA 5913 EFBC

Re: Q&D Turbine Install?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com> writes:

You should be able to install it directly from the net by doing

maven -DgroupId=turbine -DartifactId=maven-turbine-plugin -Dversion=1.2-rc1 plugin:download

The final release depends on the final release of turbine-2.3.1, which
depends on the final release of torque-3.1.1 and
commons-configuration-1.0, for which I sent out a CfV today. :-)

	Regards
		Henning

>David Demner wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tod,
>>
>> AFAIK, the TDK is a working tomcat installation, some scripts for starting
>> new projects relatively painlessly, and a collection of jar files that basic
>> Turbine projects need.  All you really need to get turbine running is the
>> jar files, but it's probably best to install the TDK (or META) on another
>> box, run the scripts that start your project (good demo application), and
>> copy the application's webapps/xxx to the working Tomcat installation.  Then
>> everything should just work.

>Oddly enough I just tried to download the latest TDK.  This page:
>http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/tdk/tdk-howto.html references TDK
>v2.3, but the turbine release repository doesn't list v2.3 anywhere.
>Where did you get it?

>I also looked into META and the main Turbine page points to this link:
>http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2.4/maven-turbine-plugin/index.html.

>After reading through the navigation links on the left I found that
>there is supposed to ba a binary version of the plugin but all I could
>find was CVS based source.

>Is there a binary Release build for META and if so where can I get it?
>If not, is there a Release source repository I can get it from?

>Thanks - Tod

                                    Open Source Software Development"

Re: Q&D Turbine Install?

Posted by Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com>.

RE: Q&D Turbine Install?

Posted by David Demner <tu...@demner.com>.
Hi Tod,

AFAIK, the TDK is a working tomcat installation, some scripts for starting
new projects relatively painlessly, and a collection of jar files that basic
Turbine projects need.  All you really need to get turbine running is the
jar files, but it's probably best to install the TDK (or META) on another
box, run the scripts that start your project (good demo application), and
copy the application's webapps/xxx to the working Tomcat installation.  Then
everything should just work.

I have a similar setup - the box with the TDK is my development machine, and
a separate box containing separately Tomcat v5.0.27 as the production
machine.  I just copy the webapps/xxx directory from development to
production and everything works fine...

Good luck,

David