Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Daniel Cunha <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/13 22:20:32 UTC

A client to manage your Apache TomEE instances

Hello everyone,

I'm glad to announce today the release of Tomee-cli, a command line
tool to manage your Apache TomEE instances.

https://github.com/bitmaker-software/tomee-cli

We decided to think out of the box and come up with a solution that's
easy to use and develop, offering the maximum number of
functionalities with a minimum amount of code. To achieve that, we
wrote the tool in Clojure (a JVM hosted language) and we use its REPL
to offer the command line facilities. It's so straightforward to use
that we probably are more user friendly than JBoss-cli.

We currently support the following functionalities:

install tomee
start server
stop server
restart server
print versions of the execution environment
deploy war and ear applications
undeploy war and ear applications
add email resource
add datasource
add JMS resource

All these functionalities were written in less than 300 lines of code
within just over a month (started in Mar 9th) . Can you imagine what
we can achieve within a year?!

We already use tomee-cli internally and we're happy with the result.
We would love to see you using it as well. So, please, follow the
instructions in the readme file, try it and let us know what you
think.

The project is open, so you can help like do you want.

--
Best regard,
Daniel Cunha (soro)

Re: A client to manage your Apache TomEE instances

Posted by Hildeberto Mendonça <me...@hildeberto.com>.
These are all valuable feedback. Thanks a lot Romain!

--
Hildeberto Mendonça, Ph.D
Blog: http://www.hildeberto.com

Re: A client to manage your Apache TomEE instances

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hildeberto Mendonça <me...@hildeberto.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
hmm,

so it seems the readme is not yet complete ;)

btw tomee has a ssh connector with some commands (
https://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/tomee-and-its-ssh-connector/).

That said joining our efforts would still be good and even if in 3 lines of
clojure you avoid maybe 10 lines of java you stay "alone" in term of
community and you can't assume you have clojure on prod machines IMO and
that "prod" guys can write clojure - but you can assume you have java and
that prod guys are shell expert, no?

BTW looking forward to see what's your remote solution!

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Looks interesting but clojure doesn't help contribution for java projects
in general (well from my experience at least).

FYI TomEE already has some command tooling using tomee.sh. It is based on
simple java main (public static void main(final String... args)) + a small
SPI (META-INF/org.apache.openejb.cli/mycommand):

-------------------------------
$ ./bin/tomee.sh  --help
usage: openejb <command> [options] [args]

Available commands:
  cipher           Encrypt a database password and print it to stdout.
  deploy           Deploy an ejb jar or ear into OpenEJB.
  effectivetomee   Shows properties TomEE will use for resources
  properties       Convert and print the OpenEJB configuration as
                   properties
  setters          List property available for a class
  start            Start the OpenEJB Remote Server for accessing beans in
                   client/server mode.
  stop             Stop the OpenEJB Remote Server.
  undeploy         Undeploy an ejb jar or ear

Try 'openejb <command> --help' for help on a specific command.
For example 'openejb deploy --help'.

Apache OpenEJB -- EJB Container System and Server.
For additional information, see http://tomee.apache.org
Bug Reports to <us...@tomee.apache.org>
-------------------------------

It is pretty trivial to enrich and while in tomee/lib it is auto discovered.

We don't have yet add-X commands but should be easy to add while just
modifying tomee.xml - would need a little more work to do it in a running
server but still possible.

Advantage of org.apache.openejb.cli commands is it is aligned with tomee
(version). Drawback is the same (release lifecycle).

What do you think about migrating commands you miss to a tomee module (or
just enriching the ones in openejb-core)?

Personally I would even go further than your CLI using the shell a bit more
either to pass inline all properties/attributes of a resource or to ask it
in interactive mode:

$ ./tomee.sh add-resource --JdbcUrl jdbc:mysql://localhost:3606/test
--JdbcDriver auto --SomeSpecificProperty specificValue --attribute:type
DataSource --attribute:id=jdbc/mysqlDb

Then add-datasource would just be a shortcut with defaults for all missing
attributes/properties.

wdyt? does it make sense? Motivated to try to merge your project with
tomee/openejb?

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.