Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/17 17:09:58 UTC

[survey] [spark-ec2] What do you like/dislike about spark-ec2?

Howdy folks!

I’m interested in hearing about what people think of spark-ec2
<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/ec2-scripts.html> outside of the
formal JIRA process. Your answers will all be anonymous and public.

If the embedded form below doesn’t work for you, you can use this link to
get the same survey:

http://goo.gl/forms/erct2s6KRR

Cheers!
Nick
​

Re: [survey] [spark-ec2] What do you like/dislike about spark-ec2?

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Everybody!

Thanks for participating in the spark-ec2 survey. The full results are
publicly viewable here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VC3YEcylbguzJ-YeggqxntL66MbqksQHPwbodPz_RTg/viewanalytics

The gist of the results is as follows:

Most people found spark-ec2 useful as an easy way to get a working Spark
cluster to run a quick experiment or do some benchmarking without having to
do a lot of manual configuration or setup work.

Many people lamented the slow launch times of spark-ec2, problems getting
it to launch clusters within a VPC, and broken Ganglia installs. Some also
mentioned that Hadoop 2 didn't work as expected.

Wish list items for spark-ec2 included faster launches, selectable Hadoop 2
versions, and more configuration options.

If you'd like to add your own feedback to what's already there, I've
decided to leave the survey open for a few more days:

http://goo.gl/forms/erct2s6KRR

As noted before, your results are anonymous and public.

Thanks again for participating! I hope this has been useful to the
community.

Nick

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Everybody!

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jerry Lam <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

I forgot to mention in the survey that ganglia is never installed properly
for some reasons.

I have this exception every time I launched the cluster:

Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 154 of
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load
/etc/httpd/modules/mod_authz_core.so into server:
/etc/httpd/modules/mod_authz_core.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory

[FAILED]

Best Regards,

Jerry