Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Edoardo Causarano <ed...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/19 17:12:36 UTC

[ CAMEL-10466 ] - Advice on contribution

Hi all,

I’m fairly new to the Camel ML (although I’ve used the software before) and
I’ve just joined the dev ML to get some help/guidance on contributing some
changes to the Dropbox component.

I’d like to know something about:

1. What to do with consumers returning no data, how can I signal that
downstream? So far I’m adding an empty collection in the body but this
doesn’t really work since downstream needs to be aware of this.

Is there a special header to instruct the exchange there is no content and
so forth?

Can I use Optional in the body? What other Java 8 idioms can I introduce?

2. Backwards compatibility: there are some issues with the headers
generated by the component which I'd like to address. This would probably
break backwards compatibility so what's the recommended way to go forward?
Is there a way to at least deprecate the headers?

3. Testing: Dropbox doesn't provide a mock of its service. How would you go
with testing the code? Any example you can suggest?

Best,
Edoardo

Re: [ CAMEL-10466 ] - Advice on contribution

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Edoardo,

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Edoardo Causarano
<ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. Testing: Dropbox doesn't provide a mock of its service. How would you go
> with testing the code? Any example you can suggest?

my 2c: do as much as you can in unit tests, and for integration tests
use WireMock[1]

[1] http://wiremock.org/
--
Zoran Regvart