Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/30 16:41:30 UTC

Web-tool for moderation

About Chris his question for a web-tool for moderating mailing-lists:

> PS: Do we have a web-tool for moderation? Right now all moderators get
the same email and I can't see if someone else already accepted or rejected
a message ... would be great if there was some "moderation inbox" with
accept and reject buttons to quickly moderate all lists someone is listed
as moderator for.

I don't know if such a tool already exists but I am fairly interested in
helping out if we want to create something. It shouldn't be too hard, but
IMHO it will be really useful as currently moderation can be time
consuming. I am currently moderating some mailing-lists as well and I found
out that all the moderators are constantly replying to the same set of
emails. A web-tool offering the ability to accept or reject mails (and
maybe add a comment which other moderators can view as well) can be quite a
solution. Would it be an idea to send this as an incubation proposal (just
as Ponymail)?

What's everyone else's opinion about this? Is there any interest in such a
web-tool?

- Roy

Re: Web-tool for moderation

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
As sebb noted: join the dev@whimsical.apache.org list:

  https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@whimsical.apache.org

The PMC works at whimsical.a.o because the live production site was
already at whimsy.a.o.  Most whimsy tools are in ruby; the live site
already supports several ruby host environments and has it's own set of
SVN checkouts of various repos as well as ties to ASF email services.

A shared moderation tool would be great.  There are three separate
things that we'd need volunteers for:

- Building the software.  Suck in mail somehow; present it; provide a UI
to check yes/no/spam etc. and include ASF logins for security.

- Maintaining the server.  This is historically the hardest thing - for
the time being, this is likely to be a volunteer-run service, meaning we
need people to keep any services running, and to ensure that any
problems in a moderation tool won't ever affect official Infra QOS type
services at all.

- Training and actually using the tool.  Hopefully, that would be easy
once we got a few people here using it.

- Shane, not able to help right now unfortunately

Re: Web-tool for moderation

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 at 18:35, Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't even think about integrating it to ponymail. That indeed would be
> even a better solution. And maybe that will expand the ponymail community
> as well.

There is some work going on to integrate a moderation tool into Whimsy.

Whimsy already has a Secretary mail tool which dynamically updates the
outstanding mail requests.
(PonyMail does not update mails dynamically).

Please join the discussion there.

Re: Web-tool for moderation

Posted by Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web-tool for moderation