Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Darren Kukulka <Da...@connaught.plc.uk> on 2007/01/18 14:02:04 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently testing Tomcat 5.5.20 with SUN JVM 1.5.0.10 on a Windows
2003 Server x64 platform.

Everything has installed fine but when I attempt to start Tomcat I get a
service error.

Trawling the Net I see that this is a common problem that is resolved
either by using a service wrapper, compiling Tomcat or using
pre-compiled binaries of some components.

I have been down the latter path and located some pre-compiled 64-bit
binary versions of tomcat5.exe, tomcat5w.exe and tc-native.dll (version
1.1.8) - all supposedly built for my particular x64 environment.

Is it a simple case of replacing said binaries in the current
installation of Tomcat?  I have tried this and get a "application
configuration is incorrect" error - e.g. for tomcat5w.exe

Can anybody please point me in the right direction?  What is best
practice for getting Tomcat up and running in my environment?

Thanks in advance,

Darren Kukulka

Connaught honoured AIM 'Decade of Excellence' Award

Connaught awarded Partnering Contractor of the Year 2005

Connaught wins AIM 'Company of the Year' award 2004

West of England Business of the Year Award Winner 2003

Why not visit our website http://www.connaught.plc.uk
Disclaimer:

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this message.

Connaught plc, Head Office 01392 444546

Re: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by Serge Fonville <se...@gmail.com>.
I googled for "tomcat 5.5 x64" (without the quotes)
And at the second result I found
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/connectors/trunk/procrun/bin/
Hope this helps

Re: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi guys.

Re: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by Serge Fonville <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by robainp <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by Serge Fonville <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

RE: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by robainp <rm...@gmail.com>.
Have the same problem.

RE: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Re: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@gmail.com>.

RE: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by Martin Skøtt <ma...@z3n.dk>.
Hi Darren,

Good to hear that you solved - I hope you will spend a couple of minutes
on providing some extra information.

My setup and problem is described in this message:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=116957601309395&w=2

My problem is that I get an error dialog with the arguments i called
tomcat5.exe with when I try to install the service. Did you encounter this
problem?

I have installed .Net 2.0 x64, but to me it looks like I also have the x32
version. Here is a what I have under C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\ :
 Framework\
   v1.1.4322
   v2.0.50727
 Framework64\
   v2.0.50727

Do you have something similar on your server?

I appreciate your time :)

Regards,
Martin

RE: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

RE: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by Darren Kukulka <Da...@connaught.plc.uk>.
Reinhard,

Re: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by Reinhard Moosauer <re...@mib1.de>.

RE: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

> The binary versions you mentioned are the same ones I have already
> tried.
>
> 2 questions;
>
> - how do you install the Tomcat service manually?  I install Tomcat
> using the binary download, i.e. apache-tomcat-5.5.20.exe which does
not
> give you the option of NOT installing the Tomcat service.
> - I'm not sure what you mean by running the install.bat.  As mentioned
> install using the exe.

.exe installer is 32 bit so it'll probably install as WOW64
(WindowsOnWindows64)

Unistall the Tomcat.
download apache-tomcat-5.5.20.zip and unpack to <install dir>
of your choice.

put tomcat5.exe.amd64 as tomcat5.exe inside <install dir>\bin
put tomcat5w.exe.amd64 as tomcat5w.exe inside <install dir>\bin

open cmd.exe (be sure it's 64 bit so, 'Start->run-cmd')
cd to the <install dir>\bin
 > service install

That's is :)

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Darren Kukulka wrote:
> Mladen,
>
> The binary versions you mentioned are the same ones I have already
> tried.
>
> 2 questions;
>
> - how do you install the Tomcat service manually?  I install Tomcat
> using the binary download, i.e. apache-tomcat-5.5.20.exe which does not
> give you the option of NOT installing the Tomcat service.
> - I'm not sure what you mean by running the install.bat.  As mentioned I
> install using the exe.

.exe installer is 32 bit so it'll probably install as WOW64
(WindowsOnWindows64)

Unistall the Tomcat.
download apache-tomcat-5.5.20.zip and unpack to <install dir>
of your choice.

put tomcat5.exe.amd64 as tomcat5.exe inside <install dir>\bin
put tomcat5w.exe.amd64 as tomcat5w.exe inside <install dir>\bin

open cmd.exe (be sure it's 64 bit so, 'Start->run-cmd')
cd to the <install dir>\bin
 > service install

That's is :)

Regards,
Mladen.

RE: Tomcat 5.5 and x64 Windows

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Darren Kukulka wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>

> I'm currently testing Tomcat 5.5.20 with SUN JVM 1.5.0.10 on a Windows
> 2003 Server x64 platform.
>

> Everything has installed fine but when I attempt to start Tomcat I get a
> service error.

On Win64 boxes the service must be installed manually.
Next you will need to download the service executables for the
amd64-bit platform

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/connectors/trunk/procrun/bin/tomcat5.exe.amd64?view=co

Rename the tomcat5.exe.amd64 to tomcat5.exe and replace the one installed.
In case the service still doesn't work use install.bat script with amd64 executable,
because the standard install might get installed as WOW64.

Also replace tomcat5w.exe with:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/connectors/trunk/procrun/bin/tomcat5w.exe.amd64?view=co

Regards,
Mladen.