Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Aram Mkrtchyan <ar...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/18 12:13:57 UTC

Apache Spark ALS recommendations approach

Trying to build recommendation system using Spark MLLib's ALS.

Currently, we're trying to pre-build recommendations for all users on daily
basis. We're using simple implicit feedbacks and ALS.

The problem is, we have 20M users and 30M products, and to call the main
predict() method, we need to have the cartesian join for users and
products, which is too huge, and it may take days to generate only the
join. Is there a way to avoid cartesian join to make the process faster?

Currently we have 8 nodes with 64Gb of RAM, I think it should be enough for
the data.

val users: RDD[Int] = ???           // RDD with 20M userIds
val products: RDD[Int] = ???        // RDD with 30M productIds
val ratings : RDD[Rating] = ???     // RDD with all user->product feedbacks

val model = new ALS().setRank(10).setIterations(10)
  .setLambda(0.0001).setImplicitPrefs(true)
  .setAlpha(40).run(ratings)

val usersProducts = users.cartesian(products)
val recommendations = model.predict(usersProducts)

Re: Apache Spark ALS recommendations approach

Posted by gen tang <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

If you do cartesian join to predict users' preference over all the
products, I think that 8 nodes with 64GB ram would not be enough for the
data.
Recently, I used als for a similar situation, but just 10M users and 0.1M
products, the minimum requirement is 9 nodes with 10GB RAM.
Moreover, even the program pass, the time of treatment will be very long.
Maybe you should try to reduce the set to predict for each client, as in
practice, you never need predict the preference of all products to make a
recommendation.

Hope this will be helpful.

Cheers
Gen

Posted by Aram Mkrtchyan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks gen for helpful post.

Thank you Sean, we're currently exploring this world of recommendations
with Spark, and your posts are very helpful to us.
We've noticed that you're a co-author of "Advanced Analytics with Spark",
just not to get to deep into offtopic, will it be finished soon?

Posted by Debasish Das <de...@gmail.com>.
There is also a batch prediction API in PR
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/3098

Idea here is what Sean said...don't try to reconstruct the whole matrix
which will be dense but pick a set of users and calculate topk
recommendations for them using dense level 3 blas.....we are going to merge
this for 1.4...this is useful in general for cross validating on prec@k
measure to tune the model...

Right now it uses level 1 blas but the next extension is to use level 3
blas to further make the compute faster...

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Aram Mkrtchyan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks much for your reply.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.