Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Christopher Nagel <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/11 22:34:11 UTC

How to control timing of test distribution?

Hi,

For my first JMeter project, I've been asked to accomplish the following test
plan, but I am completely unsure if the tool can do it.

Here is the plan, in table format, which should look OK in fixed-width fonts:

<pre>
                      Max.   Txns Per Minute each 5-Minutes
Transaction           Users   05  10   15   20  25  30   Total
------------------    -----   --  --   --   --  --  --  ------
1. AutoPay              2      1   2    2    2   2   1  |  50
2. Credit card          4      1   2    3    4   3   2  |  75
3. Policy lookup       15      1   5   10   15  10   5  | 230
4. Billing Info        15      1   5   10   15  10   5  | 230
5. ACH                  2      1   2    2    2   2   1  |  50
         Total Transactions   25  80  135  190 135  70  | 635
</pre>

For each transaction, I've set up a thread group (5 total).  I have the Soap
requests working fine using data from CSV files.

My issue is setting up the throttle on threads/users and transactions so that
they ramp up and then down evenly according to the test "plan" in the table
above.

For example: #3 should perform 1 lookup per minute for the first 5 minutes, then
perform 5 lookups per minute until :10 minutes pass, at which point it should
perform 10 transactions per minute... etc.

If I were writing Java to do this, I'd:
    1. set up a 1-minute timer to fire
    2. for each transaction type
        3. get # transactions for the current minute
        4. fire them off

I've tried a Constant Throughput timer, but it only takes effect after the
threads are all ramped up, so basically it starts at the 20-minute rate (given a
15-thread group).

Is this type of a strictly controlled transaction distribution even possible
with JMeter?

Thanks in advance for your help!!  I look forward to learning more about this
amazing tool.

Regards,
Chris

Re: How to control timing of test distribution?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 15 August 2010 16:17, Christopher Nagel <ch...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Deepak,
>
> Actually, that turns out to have been my description of the central issue: how
> to ramp up the number of threads in a bell curve while throttling transactions
> to a preset throughput.
>
> The solution I came up with was to set thread count as a property and create 6
> different command lines to set the thread counts as in the table I originally
> posted.
>
> The only thing I was unhappy with in the end was that the "constant throughput"
> was not "constant", but more like "limiting":  the database guys commented that
> the test was rather "bursty" because the constant throughput timer reaches the
> predefined threshold immediately and then just sleeps everything for the rest of
> the minute.

Did you have any other timers in the test plan?
If not, then try adding a random timer to ensure that the samples
don't bunch together.

Posted by Christopher Nagel <ch...@yahoo.com>.
Deepak,

Actually, that turns out to have been my description of the central issue: how
to ramp up the number of threads in a bell curve while throttling transactions
to a preset throughput.

The solution I came up with was to set thread count as a property and create 6
different command lines to set the thread counts as in the table I originally
posted.

The only thing I was unhappy with in the end was that the "constant throughput"
was not "constant", but more like "limiting":  the database guys commented that
the test was rather "bursty" because the constant throughput timer reaches the
predefined threshold immediately and then just sleeps everything for the rest of
the minute.  In other words, we'd get 190 transactions by 12:00:10 and ZERO from

RE: Random Id selection

Posted by Steve Eckhart <St...@wausaufs.com>.
Set the Match No to 0 to select a random value from the matching responses. http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Regular_Expression_Extractor

Steve Eckhart
Business Analyst/Project Manager

WAUSAU Financial Systems
14010 FNB PKWY STE500
Omaha, NE 68154-5206
Main: (402) 431-8810
Direct line: (402) 715-9382
Email: steve.eckhart@wausaufs.com

Enterprise Payment Solutions.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic transmission (including files attached hereto) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this confidential information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please destroy it and immediately notify us by return email.  Thank you.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Dont forget the quotes .
"${RE_Count}"=="NOT FOUND"
Always check jmeter.log it should have given you an error.
Use debug samplers to inspect variables
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#If_Controller

regards
deepak

RE: Random Id selection

you can use the default value field and check for it using an IF Controller.
Alternately the count is stored as a variable  (though I cant remember the
name and I cant check  ). Add a debug sampler  + view Results tree listener
after your sampler and you can see the variable name used for count and
check for that

regards
deepak

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Jain, Kapil <ka...@logica.com> wrote:

> Thanks Deepak. I have another query here.
>
> I am getting n number of value for my defined regular expression paramenter
> and I want to put here some condition like
>
> 1) if regular expression parameter count == 0 then run logout code and exit
> for this iteration and start a new iteration.
>
> Could you please suggest me how to do this?
>
> Regards
> KAPIL

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email  / Pour contribuer comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei, die Umwelt zu schützen. /  Por favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente nao imprimindo este correio electronico.

Re: Random Id selection

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.

RE: Random Id selection

Re: Random Id selection