Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2001/12/15 00:14:32 UTC

Xerces-J 2.0.0 beta 4 coming soon

Hi folks,

Well it's been over 6 weeks since Xerces 2.0.0 beta 3 came out.  In that
time we've firmed up schema support substantially, implemented some
experimental DOM level 3 features--including a sort of grammar caching--,
added support for producing the PSVI on documents validated by schemas, and
produced a sample to write this information in a form similar to that
produced by XSV (the de facto standard for such things).  So it seems like
about time to put out another beta.

Why another beta, not a production version?  Since so much new code has
been put down lately it seems a lot more testing/bug identification and
resolution needs to be done before declaring Xerces2 production-ready.  But
it does seem fair to state that we're very close, especially in areas like
schema validation where we appear to be more solid than Xerces1.

So Monday's the goal for Xerces 2.0.0 beta4.  This message is just a
heads-up to developers as to what's coming down the pipe--as well as being
something of a status report.

So if any one has outstanding code to put down that they want included in
the next release, now would be an excellent time to put it down or at least
let the community know.

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Re: Xerces-J 2.0.0 beta 4 coming soon

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Elena Litani wrote:

> Edwin Goei wrote:
> > > Currently if validation feature is set to true and document has no
> > > grammar, the parser reports validation error.
> >
> > Yes that is true.  However, if the doc only has an XSD grammar, then no
> > validation error is reported which does not conform to the XML REC.
>
> Are you talking about JAXP implementation?
> If you try Xerces samples, the behavior of the parser is correct: if
> document does not have DTD grammar and validation feature is set to true
> we report errors (by default schema validation is set to false).

OK, in beta3, schema validation is true by default if this has changed
to be false, then that fixes the problem.  This means that some users of
Xerces 1.4.x would need to change their apps to turn on schema
validation.

-Edwin

Re: Xerces-J 2.0.0 beta 4 coming soon

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.

--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: Xerces-J 2.0.0 beta 4 coming soon

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Elena Litani wrote:

> > I'd vote for fixing the _default_ behavior that an app can set the SAX
> > "validation" feature to true and yet not get any validation errors if
> > the instance doc does not contain a doctypedecl.  See my other recent
> > posts on this subject.
>
> Currently if validation feature is set to true and document has no
> grammar, the parser reports validation error.

Yes that is true.  However, if the doc only has an XSD grammar, then no
validation error is reported which does not conform to the XML REC.
This is the current default behavior and I am proposing that this be
changed at a minimum to be a non-default behavior like the way
"continue-after-fatal-error" feature currently works, which strictly is
not XML REC conformant either.

-Edwin

Re: Xerces-J 2.0.0 beta 4 coming soon

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.