Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org> on 2001/08/16 01:21:47 UTC

Sitemap editor cocoon app

Hi,

I'm attaching a sitemap editor I'd like to donate to the ASF. It is  a Cocoon
'application', so if you can run Cocoon, you can use it (if you can't run Cocoon,
you have no use for it :-)

The editor has just reached 'barely useful' state. Right now, I have been using
it to edit its own sitemap, so I think its time to release it. Please comment,
tell me what you think and where do you think it should be headed·

To install:
 0. Unpack the tgz to the cocoon dir.
 1. Make it so that your Cocoon installation can use the JspGenerator. Under
tomcat, this involves copying jasper-compiler.jar to Cocoon's WEB-INF/lib
directory.
 2. Create a mount entry for sitebuilder, on the main sitemap. Like this:
 <map:match pattern="sitebuilder**">
  <map:mount uri-prefix="sitebuilder/" src="sitebuilder/" />
 </map:match>
 3. Edit "sitebuilder/datasources/cocoon_prefix.jspinclude" and set the Cocoon
prefix. (Note: I'll gladly get rid of this step if someone can help me do it.
Read the comment on the file...)

Now, point your browser to the URI where sitebuilder is mounted and all should
work fine.

Sitebuilder requires that all elements of the sub sitemap being edited have the
"id" attribute. I plan to have it tag unidentified elements, in the future, but
 for now, the sitemap being edited must conform to this rule. To test run the
editor, you can edit sitebuilder's own sitemap, which is tagged.

Last but not least, this is of course, under active development. So, be careful
with your data. It may trash the sitemap when editing it. There are also a number
of open issues that need to be fixed/developed before reaching a really useful
state:
 * Editing actions. (map:act elements)
 * Editing redirects.
 * Changing attribute values.
 * Editing the main sitemap (this is more of an interface issue. The feature is
there).
 * Creating new sites from within the editor. Right now, this involves copying
sitemap.skel.xmap to a new dir, and mounting it on the main sitemap.
 * Test on browsers other than mozilla. I can't test on internet explorer, but
I've tested on Opera. It is functional, but looks ugly as hell. Mostly CSS issues.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Carvalho
---------------

Re: AW: Sitemap editor cocoon app

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Sergio,
> FYI, I also took the liberty of fixing the cocoon_prefix.jspinclude to remove the hard-coded
> entry, now the location of the directory is got dynamically from ServletContext.

Thanks, dims; just checked it, and it should work. That was a really
simple solution...

I'll try to get the editor up and running on a test server so I can
easily get feedback on it. I'd like to make more than a simple XML
editor, and I'd like to see what people feel they need the most.

C2 can easily be the cornerstone of a web application development
environment. It would lower the barrier of entry, bringing more users to
the excelent framework posed by C2.

Sergio

Re: AW: Sitemap editor cocoon app

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.