Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1996/07/01 15:35:24 UTC

Re: Patches

Jim Jagielski wrote:

> As a general trouble maker, let me see if I have this right.
>
>    Patch A: Changes things like HAS_GMTOFF to HAVE_GMTOFF and is
>     derided loud and long as being too much too late. Patch
>     removed.
>
>    Patch B: Involves some heavy-duty changes to mod_cern_meta.c
>     as well as a semi-substantial change to the way the
>     module works (from per-server to per-directory). It is
>     added "much" later that Patch A. The resultant outcry?
>     One very nice message stating "isn't this kinda big?"
>     Patch remains.
>

> Is something wrong here?

Actually there was a bit more outcry but perhaps, due to the vagaries of
"Reply-To" settings, it went directly to Brian. I have to say that I do not
approve of Brian's unilateral decision to include the two new big patches, and
think that they should either be reversed, or we should do another public beta
cycle. I also thought that Patch A was safe enough to leave in, and certainly
safe enough after a further beta cycle.

A particularly worrying aspect of Patch B is not its size but the fact that it
changes the module's behaviour (according to the notes).

I also think that Brian's argument that these are not "core" modules is
completely spurious. They are either part of the release or they aren't. If
they are, then they should be properly tested in a _public_ beta. If they are
not, then they need deleting.

In short, I haven't vetoed yet because I'm waiting to see what the plan is
release-schedule-wise. What _is_ the plan, BTW?

Cheers,

Ben.

> PS: I'm NOT promoting that Patch A be reinstated or Patch B be
>     removed... Just a general observation as a devil's advocate.
> --
> Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |      "That's a Smith & Wesson,
>   **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |       and you've had your six"
>       Email: info@jaguNET.com          |             - James Bond
> ++    http://www.jaguNET.com/         +++      Voice/Fax: 410-931-3157       ++

London, England.

Re: Patches

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> Hmm. What about documentation. Does anyone object to the plan I posted
> earlier (merge /docs/1.1/ into /docs/, move existing docs to /docs/1.0/)?
> If not, I'll make sure that's ready to go by tomorrow evening.

That's fine - I'd suggest doing your work within /docs-new/ so as to not
disrupt what's up there now, and so we can double-check things as a group
before wednesday...

The FAQ needs updating, the history needs updating, the front page will
need to be changed, etc etc.

> > I should note that I will be OFFLINE from wednesday ~11am my time until
> > monday afternoon (going to wash DC to visit the in-laws).  If we decide to
> > delay things, fine, but I can't be head-feline-shepherd until next week...
> > if someone else wants that position, speak now.
>
> I'll volunteer, unless someone else really wants to.

If it looks like a Wednesday release is undoable, then this can be the
backup plan.

	Brian

Re: Patches

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>.

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>            The Apache HTTP Server

Re: Patches

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
Okay, 3 half-vetos equal at least one veto, so I'll roll back the changes
made to mod_cern_meta.c and mod_auth_msql.c.  I'd like to petition for an
addition to the README which states something along the lines of

  "At publication time, these two modules had updated versions which were
not sufficiently tested for inclusion into the 1.1 distribution.  However,
the newer versions are available from http://www.apache.org/dist/modules/
- if you plan on using this functionality we encourage you to give the
newer modules a test drive, and let us know of any problems.  In
particular, mod_cern_meta is now configurable per-directory, and the
configuration directives have changed.  We can not promise that the
existing configuration directives provided by the mod_cern_meta included
in the distribution will be supported in the future."

Or something.  Sound goot, ja?