Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2011/09/28 01:55:49 UTC

FYI: Note that there is no need for copyright in hbase src code going forward

Henry Yandell a while back noted that the copyright is not actually
needed in Apache source files.  See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-3870 for a reference to
the mail he sent me pointing to Apache doc where the header format is
described.

St.Ack

Re: FYI: Note that there is no need for copyright in hbase src code going forward

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 16:42, lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification Bernd, I guess I don't understand how there can be two copyright holders for the same pieces of
> software without an explicit copyright grant at the time of the donation.

My guess: Because it's not the same pieces. Think of a painting
exibited in a museum surrounded by other pieces of art in a special
artistic arrangement.
The painter would hold copyright for his painting, as do the other
artists for their pieces, but the arranging artist holds copyright for
the whole assemblement.
He can do this as the other artists (or the owner of the pieces who
may not even hold copyright) have granted him permission ('licensed')
to incorporate the pieces.

That's kind of how I imaging it works.

> Anyway, I realized that In this case we'd just have a local fork (or a clone rather) of asynchhbase with local changes inside of
> Salesforce and copyrightis not concern as long as there is a suitable license that lets us do this.
> (I guess "fork" has a distinct different meaning)

I don't know anything about asynchhbase. Is it part of Apache HBase?
Is it Apache-release code? As long as there is no official PMC-vetted
Apache release for the code, you cannot be sure it is properly
licensed.
You'd better consult your company's policy with respect to open source usage.

  Bernd

Re: FYI: Note that there is no need for copyright in hbase src code going forward

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the clarification Bernd, I guess I don't understand how there can be two copyright holders for the same pieces of
software without an explicit copyright grant at the time of the donation.

Anyway, I realized that In this case we'd just have a local fork (or a clone rather) of asynchhbase with local changes inside of
Salesforce and copyrightis not concern as long as there is a suitable license that lets us do this.
(I guess "fork" has a distinct different meaning)

-- Lars

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
Hypothetically speaking...Need to think before I hit submit. :)

I was wondering for a while how one could take a project that does or does not have single copyright owner and merge that with a main Apache project. asynchhbase came to mind (much better client than the one we have)

Ah OK, so that's how we could fork asynchhbase without writing over the copyright?

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.