Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> on 2013/10/28 16:48:31 UTC

Initial Value Exchange, does anyone use it? (was Re: Any way Qpid could preserve messages in TOPICS. Possibility ?)

On 08/15/2013 01:17 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 08/15/2013 01:05 PM, Jakub Scholz wrote:
>> Curious question ... would a message from an exchange configured as
>> "Initial Value Exchange" get propagated through the topic when a new
>> subscription is created (assuming the routing key and binding keys are a
>> match)?
>
> Yes, the initial value exchange option would mean the last message sent
> to the exchange was added to any newly bound queue.

Does anyone actually use the 'Initial Value Exchange' feature? In my
mind at least, the 'Last Value Queue' gives the same capability and
more. Does anyone have a use case that IVE solves but LVQ does not?

If no one is using it and no-one has a use case that requires it,
perhaps it would be worth deprecating and eventually removing?

Re: Initial Value Exchange, does anyone use it? (was Re: Any way Qpid could preserve messages in TOPICS. Possibility ?)

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 10/28/2013 04:06 PM, Jakub Scholz wrote:
> Although I asked the original question two months ago, it was really only
> out of curiosity about how the topics work. I'm not using it anywhere.

Thanks Jakub, and I didn't mean to imply anything by quoting you(!).
That was just the last discussion of the feature I had in my mind.

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone actually use the 'Initial Value Exchange' feature? In my mind
>> at least, the 'Last Value Queue' gives the same capability and more. Does
>> anyone have a use case that IVE solves but LVQ does not?
>>
>> If no one is using it and no-one has a use case that requires it, perhaps
>> it would be worth deprecating and eventually removing?

If there is anyone else with views on the feature, I'd be eager to hear
from you!

Re: Initial Value Exchange, does anyone use it? (was Re: Any way Qpid could preserve messages in TOPICS. Possibility ?)

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
Hi Gordon,

Although I asked the original question two months ago, it was really only
out of curiosity about how the topics work. I'm not using it anywhere.

Regards
Jakub