Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2019/10/11 14:20:58 UTC

[VOTE] Private branches in the official Tomcat git repository

Hi,

This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as 8.5.x
and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches directly in
the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks and pull
requests.

Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
[ ] Yes
[ ] No

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Private branches in the official Tomcat git repository

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [VOTE] Private branches in the official Tomcat git repository

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 4:20 PM Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
> repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as 8.5.x
> and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches directly in
> the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks and pull
> requests.
>
> Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
> [ ] Yes
> [X] No
>
> I found branches created a disproportionate amount of email traffic which
is rather distracting and not necessarily easy to visually separate from
"real" commits on official branches, in addition to requiring subsequent
cleanup and maintenance causing further email traffic nuisance. As a
result, I believe any early/experimental development work should rather
happen in separate git forks and pull requests.

Posted by guo xiong li <lg...@gmail.com>.
> Hi,
>
> This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
> repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as
8.5.x
> and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches directly
in
> the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks and pull
> requests.
>
> Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
> [ ] Yes
>  [X] No

In my opinion, I think the branches in Tomcat repo should correspond to the
current major maintenance version. Because this can be easily managed.
Some middle jobs when solving bug and adding feature should be done in
private fork.
I consider that the branch in Tomcat repo should be created by *project
committer* after a vote and can't be created by anybody casually.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 11.10.2019 um 16:20 schrieb Rémy Maucherat:
> Hi,
>
> This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
> repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as
> 8.5.x and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches
> directly in the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using
> forks and pull requests.
>
> Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
> [ ] Yes
> [X] No

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Private branches in the official Tomcat git repository

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/10/2019 15:20, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
> repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as
> 8.5.x and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches
> directly in the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using
> forks and pull requests.
>
> Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
> [ ] Yes
> [X] No

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Private branches in the official Tomcat git repository

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2019-10-18 um 16:12 schrieb Rémy Maucherat:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 4:20 PM Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
>> repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as 8.5.x
>> and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches directly in
>> the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks and pull
>> requests.
>>
>> Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
>> [ ] Yes
>> [ ] No
>>

> Here is a recap of the voting.
>
> For the binding votes, we have:
> Yes: michaelo, ebourg, kkolinko
> No: remm, schultz, rjung, markt
> Undecided: fschumacher
>
> Thanks to the participants, including the ones with non binding votes who
> were more in favor of branches.
>
> So the community is rather split even if the result leans on the negative
> side, and many liked the idea of feature branches. I think it's not enough
> to completely forbid branch use beyond the main release branches.
>
> Therefore, I propose resolving this as follows:
> Branches use should follow a non automatic process:
> - require a significant amount of work with multiple commits ahead to
> justify their creation = always a "feature" branch, with the feature being
> large enough (which is subjective, use common sense)

This should have been applied way way earlier. There are too many
"fixup", "post fix" commits on master.

> - get casual community ack before being created (the relevant BZ could get
> the branch creation request, which should get should get at least one +1
> from another committer and of course no vetoes)

Seriously? You want me to beg for a cheap branch on an issue I am
currently working to solve a problem for the *entire* community?

I want to be productive, push intermediate changes and when I think fit,
squash them and create the PR with the qualified reviewers assigned.
That's what the Apache Maven team and others have been doing for years
-- with great success.

This pretty much sounds to me that you don't trust your fellow
committers doing things right.

Michael

Re: [VOTE] Private branches in the official Tomcat git repository

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 15:57, Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> пт, 11 окт. 2019 г. в 17:21, Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
> repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as 8.5.x
> and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches directly in
> the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks and pull
> requests.
> >
> > Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository
> ?
> > [x] Yes
> > [ ] No
>
> Certainly Yes. We must be able to conduct our business without relying
> on GitHub and without relying on its pull requests.
>
> If we call them not "private" branches, but "feature" branches - your
> email concerns will be the same, but many projects are using feature
> branches.
>

> I agree that titling a commit as "First draft" is a bad naming. I
> would like to see more elaborated commit message, with more context in
> it.
>
> If you remember when we were using Subversion, feature branches were
> used several times. E.g. I used them to backport testing framework to
> Tomcat 6. It generated a lot of emails, but their Subject line
> contained the root path of the commit, and in Subversion such path
> includes a branch name.
>
> > As a big github user, i expect main repo to not have unofficially
> supported code.
>
> Technically, the only supported code are the official releases that
> have passed a vote. Anything else is a work in progress.

Read it as "external corrupted code".
While only committers can push branches it is fine for me.

Posted by Guoxiong Li <lg...@gmail.com>.
>  If we call them not "private" branches, but "feature" branches
The "feature" branches is a better name to state these branches.

If the feature branch could be created and named after passing a vote
which could prevent excessive branches and bad branch name, the
branches would be better managed.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2019-10-12 um 15:57 schrieb Konstantin Kolinko:
> пт, 11 окт. 2019 г. в 17:21, Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as 8.5.x and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches directly in the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks and pull requests.
>>
>> Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
>> [x] Yes
>> [ ] No
>
> Certainly Yes. We must be able to conduct our business without relying
> on GitHub and without relying on its pull requests.

+1

> If we call them not "private" branches, but "feature" branches - your
> email concerns will be the same, but many projects are using feature
> branches.
>

> I agree that titling a commit as "First draft" is a bad naming. I
> would like to see more elaborated commit message, with more context in
> it.
>
> If you remember when we were using Subversion, feature branches were
> used several times. E.g. I used them to backport testing framework to
> Tomcat 6. It generated a lot of emails, but their Subject line
> contained the root path of the commit, and in Subversion such path
> includes a branch name.

It is the very same approach. I am working same as before on features
under a Bugzilla issue id. This is not intended to be a playground.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 11.10.19 um 16:43 schrieb Rémy Maucherat:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 4:30 PM Michael Osipov <michaelo@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     Am 2019-10-11 um 16:20 schrieb Rémy Maucherat:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
>     > repository beyond branches that are approved by the community
>     such as 8.5.x
>     > and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches
>     directly in
>     > the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks
>     and pull
>     > requests.
>     >
>     > Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git
>     repository ?
>     > [ ] Yes
>     > [ ] No
>
>     I don't like the term 'private' because everytihing I add to the
>     canonical repo is intended to merged into upstream sooner or later.
>     Purely private stuff must be in a fork anyway.
>
>     Please redefine.
>

> Well, it's already in the text of the vote ("This vote is to regulate
> the use of branches in the official Tomcat repository beyond branches
> that are approved by the community such as 8.5.x and 7.0.x"): Private
> branches are defined here as any branches whose creation is not
> approved and voted on by the community.
>
> = I feel like creating branch "remm", is it allowed ?
> So I say no, because this is the Tomcat repo, not remm's repo, even
> though commits could possibly be interesting this is a bit too much.

In that sense, I would say "no", too. There is no need for a private
only branch with git.

For feature branches - which I understand are out of scope for this - I
would be tending towards a "yes".

Felix

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 4:30 PM Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2019-10-11 um 16:20 schrieb Rémy Maucherat:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
> > repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as
> 8.5.x
> > and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches directly
> in
> > the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks and pull
> > requests.
> >
> > Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository
> ?
> > [ ] Yes
> > [ ] No
>
> I don't like the term 'private' because everytihing I add to the
> canonical repo is intended to merged into upstream sooner or later.
> Purely private stuff must be in a fork anyway.
>
> Please redefine.

Well, it's already in the text of the vote ("This vote is to regulate the

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
[No] (non binding). As a big github user, i expect main repo to not have
unofficially supported code. I work with this kind of setup (for CI) and it
is a mess at all layers compared to natural PR structure IMHO.

Posted by Chuck Caldarale <n8...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 11/10/2019 à 16:20, Rémy Maucherat a écrit :

> Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
> [X] Yes
> [ ] No

+1

Emmanuel Bourg