Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> on 2010/10/08 23:00:02 UTC

[VOTE] Thrift to graduate from the incubator

All,

Thrift has been humming along nicely lately. We'd made several releases and
added several committers. The Thrift community thinks now is a good time to
consider graduation.

Please let me know if this resolution is insufficient in any way.

-Bryan

===

Establish Apache Thrift Project

interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with
the creation and maintenance of open-source software related to
cross-language RPC and serialization, for distribution at no charge to the
public.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "The Apache Thrift Project",
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that The Apache Thrift Project be and hereby is
responsible for the creation and maintenance of a software
project related to cross-language RPC and serialization; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Thrift" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of The Apache
Thrift Project, and to have primary responsibility for management
of the projects within the scope of responsibility of
The Apache Thrift Project; and be it further

hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of The
Apache Thrift Project:

* Bryan Duxbury (bryan@rapleaf.com)
* David Reiss (dreiss@facebook.com)
* Mark Slee (mslee@facebook.com)
* Jake Luciani (jakers@gmail.com)
* Todd Lipcon (todd@cloudera.com)
* Anthony Molinaro (anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu)
* Esteve Fernandez (esteve@sindominio.net)
* Ben Maurer (ben.maurer@gmail.com)

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Bryan Duxbury
be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice
President, Thrift, to serve in accordance with and subject to
the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Thrift Project be and hereby
Incubator Thrift podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
Incubator Thrift podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
PMC are hereafter discharged.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Thrift to graduate from the incubator

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Bryan,

Here's the process in gory detail: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#process

Craig

On Oct 18, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Bryan Duxbury wrote:

> [...]
> Incubator Thrift podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
> PMC are hereafter discharged.
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> +1 to graduation, +1 to adding me :-)
>>
>> Upayavira
>>

>> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:46 -0700, "Bryan Duxbury" <br...@rapleaf.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Would anyone object to us adding Upayavira as a PMC member/mentor
>>> after
>>> the
>>> fact? It was an oversight on my part not to include him in the first
>>> place.
>>> I'll call a new vote if I have to, but I'd prefer not to.
>>>
>>> Also, it looks like 72 hours has passed and we've got 5 +1 votes
>>> with 4
>>> of
>>> them apparently binding, and no -1 votes. What's the next step,

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

[RESULT] [VOTE] Thrift to graduate from the incubator

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Thrift to graduate from the incubator

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

Awesome project.

Henry

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
+1.

But, keep the affiliation one way or the other....

Cheers
Niclas

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [VOTE] Thrift to graduate from the incubator

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
+1, nice job folks.  Happy to see this finally happen
for Thrift.

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
Sorry about the late response. These dates look fine to me.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
OK great, +1 from me.

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
In the thread with Message-ID: <16...@web54406.mail.re2.yahoo.com>,
we discussed the idea of graduation. Everyone was positive; I asked if we
needed a formal vote and Joe said no. I also published a draft resolution to
the Thrift community in the thread with Message-ID: <AANLkTi=
ZLY0XJ3GXFUQ9wsQeVtunJbXJ-APSD+OnE1ff@mail.gmail.com<ZL...@mail.gmail.com>>,
and there were no complaints.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Thrift has been humming along nicely lately. We'd made several releases and
> added several committers. The Thrift community thinks now is a good time to
> consider graduation.
>
> Please let me know if this resolution is insufficient in any way.
>
> -Bryan
>
> ===
>
> Establish Apache Thrift Project

> interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
> purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with
> the creation and maintenance of open-source software related to
> cross-language RPC and serialization, for distribution at no charge to the
> public.
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
> Committee (PMC), to be known as the "The Apache Thrift Project",
> be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
> Foundation; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that The Apache Thrift Project be and hereby is
> responsible for the creation and maintenance of a software
> project related to cross-language RPC and serialization; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Thrift" be and
> hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
> direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of The Apache
> Thrift Project, and to have primary responsibility for management
> of the projects within the scope of responsibility of
> The Apache Thrift Project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
> hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of The
> Apache Thrift Project:
>
> * Bryan Duxbury (bryan@rapleaf.com)
> * David Reiss (dreiss@facebook.com)
> * Mark Slee (mslee@facebook.com)
> * Jake Luciani (jakers@gmail.com)
> * Todd Lipcon (todd@cloudera.com)
> * Anthony Molinaro (anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu)
> * Esteve Fernandez (esteve@sindominio.net)
> * Ben Maurer (ben.maurer@gmail.com)
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Bryan Duxbury
> be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice
> President, Thrift, to serve in accordance with and subject to
> the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
> Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
> disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
> further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Thrift Project be and hereby
> is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
> Incubator Thrift podling; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
> Incubator Thrift podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
> PMC are hereafter discharged.

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.8

Re: [VOTE] Thrift to graduate from the incubator

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
Ideally, it'll be the ones in the resolution. The ones that were dropped are
what I'd consider "emeritus" committers at this point. I'd be happy to give
them karma again if they show up and become active, but I think it's
disingenuous to list them in our graduation proposal if they're never
around.

Posted by ro...@bufferoverflow.ch.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Bryan,

My +1. You've done a fantastic job and I wish you guys the best.

One thing to note: you'll probably want to update your board resolution below to include everyone's Apache emails rather than their company affiliated ones - that would match what I've seen with many of the other resolutions in the past.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [VOTE] Thrift to graduate from the incubator