Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by eurotrans-Verlag <ve...@t-online.de> on 2011/02/04 02:21:45 UTC

NPE instead of '400 Bad Request' response when sending invalid request on Tomcat 7.0.7

Hi all,

I noticed that when sending an invalid request to Tomcat 7.0.7 (e.g. without
a HTTP method), Tomcat throws a NullPointerException, instead of responding
with a "400 Bad Request".

If you do a request like this for example:

/invalidRequest HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost

Then Tomcat prints:

04.02.2011 02:16:44 org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter service
SCHWERWIEGEND: An exception or error occurred in the container during the
request processing
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:409)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:243)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http
11Protocol.java:188)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http
11Protocol.java:166)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:
288)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

and closes the connection without sending a response.

Shouldn't Tomcat respond with "400 Bad Request" instead of throwing a NPE?
;)
(I don't think this is a big issue, just wanted to note that behavior.)

Cheers
Konstantin Preißer

Re: NPE instead of '400 Bad Request' response when sending invalid request on Tomcat 7.0.7

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.