Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/13 22:02:29 UTC

logging?

ran into a few issues an unimplemented torque method (search) causing
searchcommand to fail with a null pointer. IMHO clearer to log and
return an empty array. (i'll post a patch.)

but this brings me to logging. most of james uses the avalon logging
framework. torquemailbox seems to use commons logging. any particular
reason for this?

- robert

Re: logging?

Posted by Joachim Draeger <jd...@gmx.de>.
Am Montag, den 13.11.2006, 23:47 +0100 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
> The Imap code has been revamped by Joachim and in the mean time joachim
> tried to isolate the avalon/phoenix code to wrappers to be used with
> james while keeping the main code "avalon free".
>
> It uses commons-logging and commons-configuration wrappers to
> avalon-logger and avalon configurations.

commons-configuration is AFAIK only used to configure Torque.

Joachim

Re: logging?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
The Imap code has been revamped by Joachim and in the mean time joachim
tried to isolate the avalon/phoenix code to wrappers to be used with
james while keeping the main code "avalon free".

It uses commons-logging and commons-configuration wrappers to
avalon-logger and avalon configurations.

We kept this as an experiment: maybe we'll do the same change to all of
the james components in future, or maybe we'll port imap back to avalon.

Stefano

Re: logging?

Posted by Joachim Draeger <jd...@gmx.de>.
Hi Robert,

Am Montag, den 13.11.2006, 21:02 +0000 schrieb robert burrell donkin:

> ran into a few issues an unimplemented torque method (search) causing
> searchcommand to fail with a null pointer. IMHO clearer to log and
> return an empty array. (i'll post a patch.)

That sounds like a good idea! Search is really a complicated one so I
postponed it, because it's not needed for basic operation.

> but this brings me to logging. most of james uses the avalon logging
> framework. torquemailbox seems to use commons logging. any particular
> reason for this?

When I started MailboxManager it was written as a separate product to
plugin into James. I didn't want to introduce dependencies to Avalon all
around the code. Commons logging is a great possibility to be compatible
with many logging systems. (log4j etc)
The idea was only MailboxManagerProvider deals with Avalon logger and
gives commons loggers to the childs.
At the moment integration with James is first priority. So I don't care
too much about the use of Avalon logger.
Having a single product with a JavaMail frontend interface is still a
goal. It could bring a broader user base because there are only very few
JavaMail store implementations so far.

Conclusion: At the moment you may use Avalon or commons logging just as
you like. :-)

Joachim