Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Evan Ward <ev...@nrl.navy.mil> on 2014/03/04 20:37:54 UTC

Re: [math] fitting.leastsquares and stat.regression

Phil suggested we discuss the relationship of the two least squares
packages in [math]

Current Status

Currently both fitting.leastsquares and stat.regression have least
squares implementations. The fitting.leastsquares package supports
non-linear least squares with weights, pluggable optimization
algorithms, and (soon) data editing. The package is written from an
optimization/engineer's perspective.

As far as I can tell the stat.regression implementations are for linear
least squares. Some of the implementations contain neat optimizations,
for example requiring O(1) space for n data points. This package seems
to be written more from a statistician/economist's perspective.

1. Keep separate packages.
2. delegate the implementation from one package to the other
3. merge into a single package. (could lead to some interesting
algorithms. e.g. non-linear general least squares)

Phis, please add any important points I've missed.

Best Regards,
Evan

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 3/4/14, 11:37 AM, Evan Ward wrote:
> Phil suggested we discuss the relationship of the two least squares
> packages in [math]
>
> Current Status
>
> Currently both fitting.leastsquares and stat.regression have least
> squares implementations. The fitting.leastsquares package supports
> non-linear least squares with weights, pluggable optimization
> algorithms, and (soon) data editing. The package is written from an
> optimization/engineer's perspective.
>
> As far as I can tell the stat.regression implementations are for linear
> least squares. Some of the implementations contain neat optimizations,
> for example requiring O(1) space for n data points. This package seems
> to be written more from a statistician/economist's perspective.

> 1. Keep separate packages.
> 2. delegate the implementation from one package to the other
> 3. merge into a single package. (could lead to some interesting
> algorithms. e.g. non-linear general least squares)
>
> Phis, please add any important points I've missed.

This is correct.  I don't see a big problem here - it is just worth
asking where the residual analysis / data editing functionality
belongs - in both places?

Also, it is worth considering merging the implementations.  In the
stats classes, these would be the non-updating impls (those that
require the full set of data in memory).  It may well be that the
only material commonality is what is already exploited - the .linear
decompositions.  Residual analysis may be something that can be shared.

Phil