Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Viktor Jevdokimov <Vi...@adform.com> on 2012/05/25 17:31:18 UTC

FYI: Java 7u4 on Linux requires higher stack size

Hell all,

We've started to test Oracle Java 7u4 (currently we're on 7u3) on Linux to try G1 GC.

Cassandra can't start on 7u4 with exception:

The stack size specified is too small, Specify at least 160k
Cannot create Java VM

Changing in cassandra-env.sh -Xss128k to -Xss160k allowed to start Cassandra, but when Thrift client disconnects, Cassandra log fills with exceptions:

ERROR 17:08:56,300 Fatal exception in thread Thread[Thrift:13,5,main]
java.lang.StackOverflowError
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TIOStreamTransport.read(TIOStreamTransport.java:127)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(TTransport.java:84)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TFramedTransport.readFrame(TFramedTransport.java:129)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TFramedTransport.read(TFramedTransport.java:101)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(TTransport.java:84)
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readAll(TBinaryProtocol.java:378)
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readI32(TBinaryProtocol.java:297)
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readMessageBegin(TBinaryProtocol.java:204)
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Processor.process(Cassandra.java:2877)
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CustomTThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(CustomTThreadPoolServer.java:187)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Increasing stack size from 160k to 192k eliminated such excepitons.

Just wanted you to know if someone tries to migrate to Java 7u4.

Best regards / Pagarbiai
Viktor Jevdokimov
Senior Developer

Email: Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com<ma...@adform.com>
Phone: +370 5 212 3063, Fax +370 5 261 0453
J. Jasinskio 16C, LT-01112 Vilnius, Lithuania
Follow us on Twitter: @adforminsider<http://twitter.com/#!/adforminsider>
What is Adform: watch this short video<http://vimeo.com/adform/display>

[Adform News] <http://www.adform.com>

Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and attachments is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are reminded that the information remains the property of the sender. You must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and irrevocably delete this message and any copies.

Re: FYI: Java 7u4 on Linux requires higher stack size

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, we're investigating in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4275.

--