Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by Ian Holsman <Ia...@cnet.com> on 2001/05/16 18:27:05 UTC

Dynamic Reverse Proxying

hi.

we have a need to be able to, based on a part of the URL/Note in the notes table, to determine which application
server/path  we will r-proxy the request to, and the timeout values we expect from the app.

we plan on doing this via setting a couple of application notes, and writing a request handler which will understand
these.

My question(s):
* can this be done already with existing proxy code?
* is this kind of thing of interest to the 'proxy' group and it's users? (ie... should I munge mod_proxy to handle it)
  or is this not the direction the proxy stuff wants to go in?

Cheers
Ian

--
Ian Holsman
Performance Measurement & Analysis

Re: Dynamic Reverse Proxying

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Ian Holsman wrote:

> we have a need to be able to, based on a part of the
> URL/Note in the notes table, to determine which application
> server/path  we will r-proxy the request to, and the timeout
> values we expect from the app.
>
> we plan on doing this via setting a couple of application
> notes, and writing a request handler which will understand
> these.

What are you trying to achieve? - this sounds like you're trying to do
server load balancing, or am I wrong?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon