Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2006/08/23 13:28:21 UTC

.NET Client

Hi everyone. Is anyone able to tell me whether the .NET client will run on
the Windows Compact Framework for .NET 2.0 (Pocket PC 2003 or greater) ?

Re: .NET Client

Posted by kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk>.
So just a small job then... ;-). Thanks James for your info.

Re: .NET Client

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/06, kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for your speedy replies! Assuming that this is not a trivial task
> (and I wouldn't think that it would be), are there any plans to implement a
> ActiveMQ broker (and its associated dependencies)  in .NET, and if so what
> sort of timescale would this be looked at in?

There's no current plan to rewrite 20 or so man years of development
on the Java message broker in .Net :)

Though you can run the Java broker on .Net using IKVM
http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/csteen/archive/2004/08/20/22813.aspx

--

James
-------

Re: .NET Client

Re: .NET Client

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/06, kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> So at present the .NET clients can only function as connected clients? They
> have no capability to store and forward (using an occassionally connected
> model)?

Yes - unless you deploy an ActiveMQ broker on the .Net client as well
(via IKVM).

--

James
-------

Re: .NET Client

Posted by kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Re: .NET Client

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/06, kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Can you explain how this differs from the broker option?

The broker takes care of persistence and so forth automatically right
now. If there is some .Net specific way of doing with something
similar - as you appeared to hint at previously - then we could reuse
that feature, we'd just have to add support for that into the .Net
client.

> If the .NEt client could store the messages locally, but later a connection
> was established, who would be reponsible for forwarding the locally stored
> messages?

I thought you were saying that .Net already had support for persistent
queues for dealing with offline connectivity - if so that would take
care of this right? Otherwise currently the broker is the only option
we have.

> As far as I understand, the broker is responsible for managing the
> communication to other brokers, and forwarding messages.

Yes

--

James
-------

Re: .NET Client

Posted by kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Can you explain how this differs from the broker option?

If the .NEt client could store the messages locally, but later a connection
was established, who would be reponsible for forwarding the locally stored
messages?

As far as I understand, the broker is responsible for managing the
communication to other brokers, and forwarding messages. Wouldn't this
option effectively be part of a native .NET broker solution?

Re: .NET Client

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/06, kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> With the Pocket PC model, from what I have read of other articles it is
> possible to have persistent queues on the Pocket PC, that store the messages
> until a network connection is established. Do I need an embedded broker
> running to achieve this?

Yes.

Unless the .Net framework on Pocket PC providers its own persistent
queues but then we'd have to write a custom transport for the Pocket
PC to take advantage of these.
--

James
-------

Re: .NET Client

Posted by kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk>.
With the Pocket PC model, from what I have read of other articles it is
possible to have persistent queues on the Pocket PC, that store the messages
until a network connection is established. Do I need an embedded broker
running to achieve this?

Once the Pocket PC has established the normal network connection, does it
need to explicitly push the messages out to the server, or will the server
pull the messages in? If the latter, I am guessing that somehow the broker
on the Pocket PC must find the server broker and forward the messages.

Is this mechanism transaprent, or do the server and Pocket PC brokers be
told about each other?

Re: .NET Client

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/23/06, kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks James. I was suspecting that this would be the case. With regards to
> reflection, do you make use of reflection emit or is it just simple
> reflection...?

Actually we don't use reflection at all - its just the
CommonAssemblyInfo.cs using it

> I will try having a look at this over the next coupe of days within VS2003
> and see what happens.

Great - please let us know how you get on
--

James
-------

Re: .NET Client

Re: .NET Client

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/23/06, kiwisurfer <uk...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi everyone. Is anyone able to tell me whether the .NET client will run on
> the Windows Compact Framework for .NET 2.0 (Pocket PC 2003 or greater) ?

Am not sure what the limitations are of the compact framework.

We generally rely on the following .Net packages if it helps...

System
System.Collections
System.IO
System.Net
System.Net.Sockets
System.Reflection
System.Runtime.InteropServices
System.Text
System.Threading

I guess the easiest way to know for sure if it does work or not is to
just try it :)

If you are on a really small device and want something really tiny and
low powered, writing a Stomp client might be a better option since you
just need to be able to read and write text to a socket.

--

James
-------