Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Ingo Brunberg <ib...@fiz-chemie.de> on 2004/03/03 11:22:02 UTC

Re: Best practices for newbie slide webdav client 2beta1

> Hello the list,
> i have a question about the api slide client.
> What is exactly the difference between the two objects WebdavFile and the WebdavResource ?

WebdavFile is a lost piece of code, that, as far as I remember, never
had its use within the library itself. So it propably would have been
better if it had gotten deleted along with the other GUI related
stuff.

Now you can conclude that you should use WebdavResource. WebdavFile
might be useful if you are going to build a WebDAV enabled
filechooser. Note that there were two such attempts in Slide 1.0.16,
none of them really finished.

> Wich object is the best in order to manipulate file?
> For my short experience it seems that the WebdavResource works better than WebdavFile. Is it possible?
> For example i succeed to create a file with these lines :
> 	HttpURL url = new HttpURL(p_path);
> 	WebdavResource res = new WebdavResource(url);
> 	res.putMethod(url.getPath()+"/"+p_fileName,content);
> but if i tried like this with the WebdavFile  it doesn't work :
> 	HttpURL url = new HttpURL(p_path);
> 	WebdavFile file = new WebdavFile(url);
> 	file.mkdir();
>
> When i try to create a directories tree with WebdavResource, i can't , i must to create
> the directory level by level, even if i set the default depth to infinity.

The depth has no effect for MKCOLs. WebDAV has no equivalent of a
'mkdir -p', so you have to create the directories step by step.