Posted to dev@river.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com> on 2021/03/05 18:25:41 UTC

Re: New Interim / Full-Time Apache River Chair

> On Feb 26, 2021, at 7:36 AM, Jeremy R. Easton-Marks <J....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> All,
> With the resignation of our PMC Chair Peter Firmstone we find ourselves
> without a leader. I am not sure of the proper procedure for nominating a
> new one but I would rather get it wrong and show effort then let this
> project fade into darkness and be shut down.
>
> The Apache River project faces a couple of big decisions and projects on
> going and coming up. A couple of these were mentioned in the Project
> Health / Interest email chain.
>
> 1. SVN to Git Migration
> 2. Website Migration
> 3. Moving to module builds, possibly with gradle.
>
> I would also like to add a 4th, does Apache River have a path forward or
> should it be sunsetted? If it does, what is that path forward? How does
> Apache River fit into the future of computing?
>
> Would anyone like to step up as the Chair in either an interim or full-time
> basis?
>
> Also if anyone knows how to formally/officially do this that would be
> great. :-)
>
> --
> Jeremy R. Easton-Marks
>
> "ĂȘtre fort pour ĂȘtre utile"

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your great questions. The official process is for the River PMC to
nominate a candidate chair to the board and then the board appoints that
person as chair and VP, River. Typically, a project does the nomination and
chair discussion on a private list, since we prefer to keep personnel discussions
off of the public archives. However, first we need to revive the PMC, which
will also take some time, particularly after a year of unsettling events.

If the PMC does not revive itself soon, we will call for new volunteers on this list.

Thank you for volunteering! Hopefully, the project will get kickstarted again
by all this activity.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding
Chairman, The Apache Software Foundation