Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net> on 2003/10/30 16:40:00 UTC

A skin with some new features

I have been using Forrest to deliver my lecture materials to my students
on the various courses I teach at the University of the West Indies. As
a result I have developed a skin that is heavily based on the
Krysalis-Skin. However, it does add a few new features some may be
considered useful in the main skins - are there any that you would like
me to include in the main other skins? (I will be maintaining and
improving these features for my own site).

Features that may be useful:

glossary functionality
----------------------

create a link with role="glossary" and the resulting link indexes into a
glossary file, using the href attribute as the anchor. Default action is
to open the glossary page in a new window at the relevant point. I
intend to improve this so that it extracts the relevant glossary entry
and open up a small window displaying just that entry.

example
http://localhost:8888/courses/MIS/ISEnterprises/typesOfIS.html

citation functionality
----------------------
create a link with role="citation" and it links to a references document
in the same way that the glossary function works (at present the
references file is very basic, but I hope to find the time to make it
work with full bibliographic databases - perhaps at the end of this
semester)

example http://localhost:8888/courses/MIS/ISEnterprises/case.html (see
end of page for reference)

---------------
A link that moves to the next page in the site.xml file (allows the user
to navigate through the site one page at a time). It did have a previous
page link too, but this broke when I added the menu javascript stuff, I
will fix it one day. This feature can be turned off with a skinconf
property.

example - any page

slides (probably too specific for most skins)
------
This creates a new view of the site where special sections with
role="slide" are rendered as slides for presentation purposes. The link
to slides view only appears if there is a slide in the current page. The
resulting slide page has basic navigation (next and back to full text
version)

Slides are also rendered differently in the main part of the site,
although they need not be, the use of role means other skins still
render correctly (see the PDF's which are generated by the default XSLT
for example)

example http://localhost:8888/courses/MIS/ISEnterprises/case.html, click
on the slide icon in (next to PDF) to see slide view - note doesn't
include additional information at base of page.

Ross

Re: A skin with some new features

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
DOH! I copied the urls from a locally running webapp rather than the
public server. See the corrected links below - sorry!

http://www.gardler.org/teaching/courses/MIS/ISEnterprises/typesOfIS.html

http://www.gardler.org/teaching/courses/MIS/ISEnterprises/case.html

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
Jason End wrote:
> I'm working on a think tank for the use of digital
> mediums in the democratic process in Spain. One of our
> proyects would include informative sessions/days, and
> hence it would be great to be able to post the
> presentations online for everyone to see.

OK, similar goals for myself (education field). I really like the idea
of my notes, slides, PDF's etc being in one place. Sure I could use Open
Office presentations but then I don't get the cool inclusion stuff that
means duplicated material is kept in one place.

I am hoping to develop this further to work with Learning Objects so I
can tell Forrest to include, for example, only the intrdocutory
materials from the Applet unit of the Java course. Would this also be
useful to you?

Posted by Jason End <be...@yahoo.com>.
I'm working on a think tank for the use of digital
mediums in the democratic process in Spain. One of our
proyects would include informative sessions/days, and
hence it would be great to be able to post the
presentations online for everyone to see.

cheers,
Jay

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

Re: A skin with some new features

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.

Posted by Jason End <be...@yahoo.com>.
I could really use all those features. Why don't you

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com