Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Paul Tomsic <pt...@yahoo.com> on 2002/11/06 17:06:29 UTC

xml files, in the database or on the filesystem?

we're using a good deal of XML in our application
(XSL[t] for front-end display, SVG and command driven
XML for image creation, etc.)

right now, we're just leaving the XMLs/SVGs, etc.
on the file system, and getting a hold of them for
manipulation by using FileInputStreams.
I was always taught that putting things in a DB is
safer, but I can't produce a compelling argument for
one side or the other.

Is there a pro/con argument that says, "leave the xmls
on the file system" -or- "put them all into the
database" ?

When I say database, I'm merely talking about a simple
two column table that contains (ID, TEXT) where ID is
the pkey, and text is all the information in the XML.

thoughts?

thanks,
Paul

Re: xml files, in the database or on the filesystem?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Hi,

Honestly said, I do not believe it makes a difference to have one or the
other, indeed. You might be more flexible within an SQL-record as you
would be able to attach more information than just a number and the XML
content, that's the only thing I could think of.

Have you considered using XML databases (XIndice, eXists,...) ?
In principle, they should be able to provide you with a better search
(really better, having the whole XPath at hand is like being able to
find just about anything except with joins) and presumably should be
able to take less time as it stores pre-parsed XML trees.

Paul