Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net> on 2007/12/20 17:19:30 UTC

bundleplugin update

Hi folks,

Carlos has released the maven-dependency-tree and maven-osgi shared
components (thanks Carlos!)
which means there are no more external snapshot dependencies blocking
release of the bundleplugin.

So we just need to sort out the following releases:

   org.osgi.service.obr --> maven-obr-plugin --> bundleplugin

wrt. open issues: the only one that might delay a release is FELIX-437, but
it's a minor issue. To fix it
properly it requires a patch to bndlib (so we'd have to wait for Peter to
create a new release and get
it uploaded to the central repo) - alternatively, we could put a temporary
fix in the bundleplugin, but
that would be a bit of a kludge... so I'm tempted to fix it after the next
release (Karl?)

there have been a lot of fixes and new functionality added since the
1.0.0release - and with the latest
commons initiative, it would be nice to be able to point people to a release
rather than a snapshot ;)

WDYT?

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> Suggested patch available for testing / comments at:
>
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-442
>
> Merry Christmas :)

Thanks for this nice christmas present :)

I'll try and test it as soon as possible!

Merry Christmas

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.

On 24/12/2007, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:

> Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> >
> > if the packaging is set to "bundle" then the bundleplugin will replace
> the
> > jar plugin in the build lifecycle, as the Bnd tool builds the final
> artifact
> > jar.
> > So I don't immediately see how the bundleplugin can remove entries set
> > by the jar plugin, as the jar plugin is not involved in creating the
> > bundle...
> >
> > unless you mean wrapping existing jars as bundles? (like Felix commons)
> > but then the bundleplugin should already keep any manifest entries from
> > the original wrapped jarfile.
> >
> > or do you mean does the bundleplugin look at the jar plugin
> configuration?
> :) I didn't investigate further, I ran the plugin on some commons
> artifacts and the meta entries defined for the jar plugin where not in
> the final jar (built by the bundleplugin).
> Yes, the packaging is set to "bundle" and therefore my assumption was
> obviously wrong as the jar plugin is not run in this case. At first it
> seems desirable to make the bundleplugin read the jar plugin config and
> use it.
>
> > should the bundleplugin pick up manifest entries also specified in the
> jar
> > plugin config? - this could be convenient, but it could also be
> confusing
> > if users don't expect it (ie. why does this appear in the manifest if I
> > didn't
> > ask the bundleplugin to add it...)
> Hmm, yes, I'm not sure.
>

> > it's a simple patch if this is what you're looking for, as I've done
> this
> > for
> > other Maven plugins in the past... but we'd need to make sure people
> > were aware that manifest entries set under the jar plugin configuration
> > would appear in the bundle - and stress that (at the moment) other jar
> > plugin specific settings are *not* honoured by the bundleplugin
> I think it would be great to have this option as it would allow to set
> manifest headers at one place (jar plugin configuration) and these
> values get applied regardless if the packaging is bundle or jar.
>
> What about making this configurable in the bundleplugin?
>

> Carsten
> --
> Carsten Ziegeler
> cziegeler@apache.org

Cheers, Stuart

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 23/12/2007, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:

> I discovered one issue just recently with the bundleplugin and the jar
> plugin. I have to further investigate, but it seems that the
> bundleplugin removes manifest entries that have been explicitly set by
> the jar plugin.

if the packaging is set to "bundle" then the bundleplugin will replace the
jar plugin in the build lifecycle, as the Bnd tool builds the final artifact
jar.
So I don't immediately see how the bundleplugin can remove entries set
by the jar plugin, as the jar plugin is not involved in creating the
bundle...

unless you mean wrapping existing jars as bundles? (like Felix commons)
but then the bundleplugin should already keep any manifest entries from
the original wrapped jarfile.

or do you mean does the bundleplugin look at the jar plugin configuration?

if so then the answer is no, it does not: changing the packaging from "jar"
to "bundle" switches in a different packaging process which doesn't involve
the jar plugin.

should the bundleplugin pick up manifest entries also specified in the jar
plugin config? - this could be convenient, but it could also be confusing
if users don't expect it (ie. why does this appear in the manifest if I
didn't
ask the bundleplugin to add it...)

It would be great to look into/fix this issue first as this is a
> blocking issue for using the bundleplugin with all apache commons
> subprojects. I'll have a look at this tomorrow.

it's a simple patch if this is what you're looking for, as I've done this
for
other Maven plugins in the past... but we'd need to make sure people
were aware that manifest entries set under the jar plugin configuration
would appear in the bundle - and stress that (at the moment) other jar
plugin specific settings are *not* honoured by the bundleplugin

Carsten

> Stefano Lenzi wrote:
> > +1 for release
> >
> > Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi
> >

> > Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> Carlos has released the maven-dependency-tree and maven-osgi shared
> >> components (thanks Carlos!)
> >> which means there are no more external snapshot dependencies blocking
> >> release of the bundleplugin.

> Carsten Ziegeler
> cziegeler@apache.org

Cheers, Stuart

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.
+1 for release

Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 for release.

Thanks to you and Carlos.

Regards
Felix

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
+1 for a release :-)

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Alin Dreghiciu <ad...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Yes, we should get these released.

I am sure we can get Peter to do a release quickly if he is around...

-> richard

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 21/12/2007, Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > wrt. open issues: the only one that might delay a release is FELIX-437,
> but
> > it's a minor issue. To fix it
> > properly it requires a patch to bndlib (so we'd have to wait for Peter
> > create a new release and get
> > it uploaded to the central repo) - alternatively, we could put a
> temporary
> > fix in the bundleplugin, but
> > that would be a bit of a kludge... so I'm tempted to fix it after the
> next
> > release (Karl?)
>
> I don't think it is a showstopper.
>
> regards,
>
> Karl
>
> p.s.: Did you ping Peter about it?

yes, couple of days ago - the suggested fix is described under FELIX-437:

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-437#action_12552443

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: bundleplugin update

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
> Hi folks,
>
> Carlos has released the maven-dependency-tree and maven-osgi shared
> components (thanks Carlos!)
> which means there are no more external snapshot dependencies blocking
> release of the bundleplugin.

Great.

--
Karl Pauls