Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by harryxiyou <ha...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/07 10:04:05 UTC

[RFC] Deploy CDH4 on a cluseter

Hi all,

When i deploy CDH4 on a cluster the doc,
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CDH4/4.2.0/CDH4-Installation-Guide/cdh4ig_topic_10.html,
says i have to write IP addresses and FQDN into /etc/hosts.
I am not sure how to get FQDN of each PC? Could anyone give
me some suggestions? Thanks in advance.

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

Re: [RFC] Deploy CDH4 on a cluseter

Posted by harryxiyou <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM, MARCOS MEDRADO RUBINELLI
<ma...@buscapecompany.com> wrote:
> Harry,
>
> It doesn't have to be a proper, fully qualified name. Sometimes hosts don't
> even have one. It just has to match exactly what `hostname` returns, because
> that's what each node will use to identify itself.
>
> Also, only servers that will actually be part of the cluster need to be in
> /etc/hosts. Clients can still access the DFS and submit jobs without being
> explicitly listed.

Hmmm, i see, thanks.

Posted by harryxiyou <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM, MARCOS MEDRADO RUBINELLI
<ma...@buscapecompany.com> wrote:
> Harry,
>
> It doesn't have to be a proper, fully qualified name. Sometimes hosts don't
> even have one. It just has to match exactly what `hostname` returns, because
> that's what each node will use to identify itself.
>
> Also, only servers that will actually be part of the cluster need to be in
> /etc/hosts. Clients can still access the DFS and submit jobs without being
> explicitly listed.

Hmmm, i see, thanks.

Posted by harryxiyou <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM, MARCOS MEDRADO RUBINELLI
<ma...@buscapecompany.com> wrote:
> Harry,
>
> It doesn't have to be a proper, fully qualified name. Sometimes hosts don't
> even have one. It just has to match exactly what `hostname` returns, because
> that's what each node will use to identify itself.
>
> Also, only servers that will actually be part of the cluster need to be in
> /etc/hosts. Clients can still access the DFS and submit jobs without being
> explicitly listed.

Hmmm, i see, thanks.

Posted by harryxiyou <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM, MARCOS MEDRADO RUBINELLI
<ma...@buscapecompany.com> wrote:
> Harry,
>
> It doesn't have to be a proper, fully qualified name. Sometimes hosts don't
> even have one. It just has to match exactly what `hostname` returns, because
> that's what each node will use to identify itself.
>
> Also, only servers that will actually be part of the cluster need to be in
> /etc/hosts. Clients can still access the DFS and submit jobs without being
> explicitly listed.

Hmmm, i see, thanks.

Posted by MARCOS MEDRADO RUBINELLI <ma...@buscapecompany.com>.
Harry,

It doesn't have to be a proper, fully qualified name. Sometimes hosts don't even have one. It just has to match exactly what `hostname` returns, because that's what each node will use to identify itself.

Also, only servers that will actually be part of the cluster need to be in /etc/hosts. Clients can still access the DFS and submit jobs without being explicitly listed.

Regards,
Marcos