Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Sergiy Matusevych <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/27 05:28:00 UTC

REEF runs from Spark!

Hi fellow reefers,

After almost a year of refactorings and bugfixes, I was able to run REEF
application from Spark today. Woo-hoo! All I tried so far was Hello REEF
application running from a Spark driver on YARN, but other Java/REEF/YARN
applications should also run from Spark just fine. I'll keep testing it
tomorrow.

There is a PR pending: https://github.com/apache/reef/pull/1299

We still have a lot of work to do - we need to try (and write unit tests!)
for various failure scenarios, test on different versions of YARN, fix
outstanding related bugs, such as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-1782 , and, most importantly,
make sure we can launch .NET applications from Spark.

There is a lot of fun work to do - please check out the JIRA at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF and send us your pull requests!

Cheers,
Sergiy.

P.S. I have a sample Spark+REEF app in a private repo. We will open source
it soon, although there is not much to open source - it's basically a
REEF-on-REEF example (namely, a try block from
org.apache.reef.examples.reefonreef.ReefOnReefDriver), transplanted almost
verbatim into the Spark driver.

Re: REEF runs from Spark!

Posted by Sergiy Matusevych <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Douglas Service <ds...@gmail.com> wrote:

I believe this needs to be tested on a spark cluster in addition to normal
> tests? If so can  I use an HDInsight Ubuntu Spark cluster?

Hi Doug,

PR https://github.com/apache/reef/pull/1299 fixes the way REEF packages
resources for the YARN job. It does not require Spark - it just so happened
that running REEF on Spark revealed a bug in that part of code. Also, if
something breaks there, it will impact the entire project. Therefore,
before we merge that PR, we have to make sure all our unit tests still pass
locally and on YARN. Later, when we open source our Spark+REEF example, we
can add Spark-specific tests to it, but I wouldn't add Spark dependencies
to REEF itself.

Thank you,
Sergiy.

Re: REEF runs from Spark!

Posted by Douglas Service <ds...@gmail.com>.
I believe this needs to be tested on a spark cluster in addition to normal
tests? If so can  I use an HDInsight Ubuntu Spark cluster?

Re: REEF runs from Spark!

Posted by Sergiy Matusevych <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: REEF runs from Spark!

Posted by Douglas Service <ds...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Sergiy!

Re: REEF runs from Spark!

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Re: REEF runs from Spark!

Posted by Rogan Carr <ro...@gmail.com>.
Nice work Sergiy!

Re: REEF runs from Spark!

Posted by Sergiy Matusevych <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Taegeon,

I don't know - there is a discussion about 0.16 in another thread. If you
ask me, I would much prefer to see issues
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-1782 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-1715 fixed before the release.

Cheers,
Sergiy.