Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Vladisav Jelisavcic <vl...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/06 15:07:12 UTC

Beam ML

Hi everyone,

what is the current status on BEAM-478 and BEAM-303 (machine learning
learning DSL and related functions)?
I would like to start contributing in this direction.

I found this design document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17cRZk_yqHm3C0fljivjN66MbLkeKS1yjo4PBECHb-xA/edit#heading=h.n51rhya8bv4f

Are there any other docs/advances related to this?

Best regards,
Vladisav

Re: Beam ML

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Vladisav

We would love to have contributions around this.

Basically, what I have in mind first is a machine learning extension
providing the DoFn/PTransform implementing algorithms (KMeans,
regression, ...).

The DSL will come after IMHO.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Beam ML

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vladisav

I'm the author of the design document. An area we stalled on was creating a
common low level linear algebra library that would also include
optimizations like MKL but across platforms and GPUs.
Additionally there are efforts underway that provide a scoring API vs a
training API.

   - PredictionIO http://predictionio.incubator.apache.org/ (now part of
   Salesforce)
   - MLeap https://github.com/combust/mleap
   - PFA - Portable Format for Analytics http://dmg.org/pfa/

Any ML effort needs to also include deep learning and the ability to
integrate various types of neural networks. Apache has several early
efforts in this regard (mxnet, singa).

Thanks
Kam