Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Rodney Dowdall <rd...@qnx.com> on 2006/05/29 23:48:05 UTC

Harmony on QNX

Hello

I've been investigating the possible use of Harmony on QNX.  We would
like to use it, along with the QNX j9 VM, to run our self-hosted Eclipse
based tools.  I was looking through the code today and while it would be
some work, I think the port should be relatively straightforward.  What
I am afraid of is that I would get the port done only to find that it
cannot run Eclipse. The statement that leads me to believe that Harmony
isn't mature enough to run a full blown Eclipse is the following from
the Harmony website:

" This contribution is sufficient to run Ant and the Eclipse Java
compiler, to provide a basic self-hosting environment. IBM also made a
version of their J9 VM available
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony> for use by the
project in evaluating this contribution."

I realize this is a fairly old statement, but I would just like to know
if Harmony would be able to accomplish what I am hoping it can.

Thanks,
Rodney

Re: Harmony on QNX

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.
I also saw Tim do a demo of Eclipse running on Harmony at EclipseCon
'06, so it seemed in pretty good shape. However, that was running the
JDT; whilst the CDT is likely to be in similar position, you might
find that one or two APIs are needed for CDT but not JDT :-)

Having said that, the fixes in the API are likely to be minimal if
any, and exercising the build against more tools is a good way of
finding where the holes are :-)

Alex.

Re: Harmony on QNX

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Mikhail and Rodney,

Re: Harmony on QNX

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rodney

Re: Harmony on QNX

Posted by Rodney Dowdall <rd...@qnx.com>.
Thanks everyone for responding.  In an effort to save emails I'm just
going to  lump my responses in to one email.

Geir:  Thanks for the response.  I just wanted to know if it had been
done on one of the other hosts.  If has worked on the other hosts, then
I figure it should be doable on QNX.

Tim:  We are interested.  It's been awhile since we've been able to use
J9 on QNX to run our Eclipse tools.  We have a solution in place right
now, but we would like to have the option of using J9.  If we can use
harmony that would be great.  For now, I'm just going to see if I can
get the natives to compile for QNX and then I'll go from there.

Egor:  Yep,  3.1 will run on QNX if you use Aonix's VM for QNX.  That is
our current solution.  We are investigating the use of J9 through
Harmony as our official Java story is IBM's J9.   Eclipse dropped QNX
support when a publicly available VM to run it went away.

Paulex and Alex:  Thanks for the info.  I wasn't sure if Harmony had
been used to run Eclipse.  If it's been used in a demo than that is a
good start as far as I am concerned.

Mikhail:  Thanks for running a test.  No special test case is required.
Just wanted to see if it was possible.

Thanks for the positive feedback.  I'm new to the whole mailing list
thing and I wasn't sure what kind of response I was going to receive
concerning this.

I'll keep in touch ( especially if I have problems :-) ).

Rodney

Re: Harmony on QNX

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: Harmony on QNX

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x179 day of Apache Harmony Rodney Dowdall wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been investigating the possible use of Harmony on QNX.  We would
> like to use it, along with the QNX j9 VM, to run our self-hosted
> Eclipse based tools.  I was looking through the code today and while
> it would be some work, I think the port should be relatively
> straightforward.  What I am afraid of is that I would get the port
> done only to find that it cannot run Eclipse. The statement that leads
> me to believe that Harmony isn't mature enough to run a full blown
> Eclipse is the following from the Harmony website:
>
> " This contribution is sufficient to run Ant and the Eclipse Java
> compiler, to provide a basic self-hosting environment. IBM also made a
> version of their J9 VM available
> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony> for use by the
> project in evaluating this contribution."
>
> I realize this is a fairly old statement, but I would just like to
> know if Harmony would be able to accomplish what I am hoping it can.

which version of Eclipse did you try?
does modern Eclipse (3.1.x) run on QNX at all?

they say:

"...But Eclipse has dropped support for QNX becauee QNX doesn't
support the Java engine that newer versions of Eclipse need."

http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=96011&cid=8234728

Actually, I did not run any single application on QNX, sorry :)

Re: Harmony on QNX

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
The safest thing to do first I think is to build Harmony on
windows/linux and try it to see if it is usable for you.  It has been a
while since I tried the Eclipse test suites to see how complete we are
(it is certainly usable on a day-to-day basis).

If you are then interested to run Harmony code on QNX we can discuss how
to do that.

Regards,
Tim

Rodney Dowdall wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been investigating the possible use of Harmony on QNX.  We would
> like to use it, along with the QNX j9 VM, to run our self-hosted Eclipse
> based tools.  I was looking through the code today and while it would be
> some work, I think the port should be relatively straightforward.  What
> I am afraid of is that I would get the port done only to find that it
> cannot run Eclipse. The statement that leads me to believe that Harmony
> isn't mature enough to run a full blown Eclipse is the following from
> the Harmony website:
>
> " This contribution is sufficient to run Ant and the Eclipse Java
> compiler, to provide a basic self-hosting environment. IBM also made a
> version of their J9 VM available
> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony> for use by the
> project in evaluating this contribution."
>
> I realize this is a fairly old statement, but I would just like to know
> if Harmony would be able to accomplish what I am hoping it can.
>
> Thanks,
> Rodney

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.