Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/19 16:29:49 UTC

RE: starting of at a small scale, single ec2 instance with 7.5 GB RAM with kafka

Hi,

I like how kafka operates, but I'm wondering if it is possible to run
everything on a single ec2 instance with 7.5 GB RAM.

So that would be zookeeper and a single kafka broker.

I would have a separate server to consume from the broker.

Producers would be from my web servers.

I don't want to complicate things as i don't really need failover or
redundancy etc.  I just want to keep things simple.

I'll have a single topic, and a few partitions because I want the guarantee
that the messages are in order.

Is this something that would be really out of the norm and not recommended?
i.e. nobody really uses it this way and who knows what is going to happen?
:)

Re: starting of at a small scale, single ec2 instance with 7.5 GB RAM with kafka

Posted by Niek Sanders <ni...@gmail.com>.
If you really only care about small scale (no HA, no horizontal
scaling), you could also consider using Redis instead of Kafka for
queueing.

- Niek

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.