Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Russell Collins <Ru...@mclaneat.com> on 2009/05/20 02:15:21 UTC

Date Problem

Hello, I am new to OpenJPA and the entire persistence objects so bear with me a little.  First of all, I am using Apache Geronimo which has OpenJPA version1.2.1 and I am moving from Hibernate (which is a pain to try to work in Geronimo).  Everything works fine except for Dates and Times.  I have an Embedded class that starts off like this:

@Embeddable
public class EntityChange implements Serializable {

      @Column(name = "changedate" )
      @Temporal(DATE)
      private Date changeDate;

      @Column(name = "changetime")
      @Temporal(TIME)
      private Time changeTime;

      @Column(name = "changeuser")
      private String changeUser;

When I try to grab an object with these embedded values I get the error:

java.lang.AssertionError: javax.ejb.EJBException: Unknown Container Exception: java.rmi.RemoteException: Cannot read the response from the server.  The class for an object being returned is not located in this system:; nested exception is:
            java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.openjpa.util.java$sql$Date$proxy

I have tried multiple ways with adding and removing @Temporal etc.  Oh one more thing, this is a MySQL database that I am trying to access.  Please give me any help you can.  Thanks.

Russell Collins

RE: Date Problem

Posted by Russell Collins <Ru...@mclaneat.com>.
Thanks Mike.  I included openjpa-1.2.1.jar in my client app and everything works great.

Russell Collins
Sr. Software Engineer
McLane Advanced Technology

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

Posted by jingmeifan <ja...@hotmail.com>.
>Sorry, I am afraid I cannot.
Without at minimum a snippet of code it's pretty hard to help you out.
- Sorry again, right now detachCopy method of OpenJPAEntityManager can solve
my problem.

> Would you please let me know what bug on detachCopy method?
I'm not sure what you're asking here.

- The question is coming from your response:
"Try changing version="1.0" to version="2.0" and removing don't use the
detachCopy method. I think that this is a bug that I reported [1] a while
back.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-1672"

> if I get em from jpaTample, and from em find data, do I need always close
em after?
I'm not sure what jpaTample is. You'll need to close your em once you're
done with it. It depends from application to application.
- Right now I close em after I get result back from there.

Thanks,
Jane

Re: Date Problem

Posted by Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Date Problem

Posted by jingmeifan <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Rick,

Sorry, I am afraid I cannot. Would you please let men know what bug on
detachCopy method?

And one more question, if I get em from jpaTample, and from em find data, do
I need always close em after?

Thanks,
Jane

Re: Date Problem

Posted by Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, can you post a small unit test?

Thanks,
Rick

Re: Date Problem

Posted by jingmeifan <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Sorry, I mean the entity didn't been detached.

Re: Date Problem

Posted by jingmeifan <ja...@hotmail.com>.
I tried changing version=2.0, and using detach on em, but the entity still
did detached. :(

             version="2.0">

This is the only place to change the version, where am I still missing?

Thanks,
Jane

Re: Date Problem

Re: Date Problem

Posted by jingmeifan <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Rick for your responding, do you mean there is any configuration in
persistence.xml?
My file is very simple:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
             version="1.0">
    <persistence-unit name="PersistenceUnit">

        <class>model.Message</class>

        <properties>
            <property name="openjpa.Log" value="DefaultLevel=TRACE"/>
            <!--<property name="openjpa.log" value="DefaultLevel=WARN,
Runtime=INFO, Tool=INFO"/>-->
        </properties>
    </persistence-unit>
</persistence>

Re: Date Problem

Posted by Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com>.
Can you post your persistence.xml file?

Thanks,
Rick

Re: Date Problem

Posted by jingmeifan <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Rick,

I solved this problem by casting the EntityManger to OpenJPAEntityManager
and using detachCpoy method which it return detached entity. Properly detach
method is a bug need fix.

Thanks,
Jane

Re: Date Problem

Posted by jingmeifan <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you for quick responding. I am using openjpa 2.0.0, the latest version.

Re: Date Problem

Posted by Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com>.
What version of OpenJPA are you on?

Thanks,
Rick

Re: Date Problem

Posted by jingmeifan <ja...@hotmail.com>.
I have the same problem and try many ways still stuck in the Date type, the
object data cannot be send out due to
org.apache.openjpa.util.java$util$Date$proxy, both detach() and clear() are
not working for me. How can I get rid of this type?

Thanks,
Jane

Re: Date Problem

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Just to complete my findings from the earlier post...  Here's a reference
[1] to the previous, recent discussion on the detach vs clear processing.
This particular customer problem ended up being a problem with Hessian
serialization, but it still looks like our detachment processing is not the
same between detach and clear.

I also found this unfinished discussion between Pinaki and myself about a
similar situation [2].  I can understand the need to track changes in a
detached state for efficiency reasons.  But, this should be configurable.
And, per the earlier comment, we need to be consistent.

I searched for an existing JIRA Issue, and I couldn't find one.  So, I
created OPENJPA-1097 [3] to track this problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

[1]  http://n2.nabble.com/AutoDetach-td2868435.html#a2884042
[2]