Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/08/23 05:24:49 UTC

[discuss] Eclipse as a Geronimo sub-project

So we now have a subproject policy.

Any thoughts on taking the IBM eclipse tooling contribution as a
subproject?  It's independent, has interested people that are
annoying us with patches :) adds value to the project and grows the
community in a technically diverse way,  and has a plausible roadmap.

I would suggest that if we do so, we'd move the current code from
sandbox and add Sachin Patel as a committer for the subproject.

This is a sensitive issue because of there's a person involved, so if
anyone has any issues that need to be discussed confidentially,
please feel free to post to pmc@geronimo.apache.org, or mail to me or
another PMC member.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: [discuss] Eclipse as a Geronimo sub-project

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
the patch delay today is my fault. I was buried in meetings all day.

I'm trying to get to it now...

But, yes, I agree with you, obviously - I just wanted to give Sachin
hope about his patches.

geir

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
NM, I changed my mind.  I guess this will be the same as when we get the
CORBA donation.  It makes sense to me in that there is a reasonable
expectation that this will be a vibrant sub-project and if it's not, we
can just pull it in.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
These are all good things to have.  I'm not sure that they warrant a
sub-project status.  Let us start the work and see what the interest
is.  On that happy day when millions of users find it awkward to work
within our top project framework, we can spawn the sub-project.  :)

Regards,
Alan

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Aug 23, 2005, at 5:38 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> Keep in mind that the tooling contribution was originially part of
> the Eclipse WTP code base and an Eclipse community had already
> started to build around it.  Due to the migration over to Apache,
> that code in the Eclipse WTP stream is old, and new features and
> fixes have essentially stopped. So there is some urgency around
> this that we start moving the interested eclipse community over to
> Geronimo as quickly as possible and claim that Apache is fully
> behind providing WTP based tooling for Geronimo. I've gotton many
> requests already where people should start downloading builds and
> open defects and with no where to really point them.  We are
> already in M5, so how long do we want to wait? I'll start looking
> into the build process, but we atleast need to post downloadable
> images on the Apache site even if this is decided to stay in the
> sandbox for now.  Is that resonable?

This is exactly the kind of interest I'm looking for.  Can you
redirect some those requests to the dev list so everyone can see them?

As for posting some binaries of the plugin, that is fine with me.  We
post nightly builds and snapshots all the time.

-dain

Re: [discuss] Eclipse as a Geronimo sub-project

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Sachin.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
And here is an developer works article on building eclipse plugins with
Maven....

https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/os-mavenecl/index.html

At the end they note the issue of non-jar dependencies.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Aug 23, 2005, at 12:14 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2005, at 8:24 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> So we now have a subproject policy.
>>
>> Any thoughts on taking the IBM eclipse tooling contribution as a
>> subproject?  It's independent, has interested people that are
>> annoying us with patches :) adds value to the project and grows
>> the community in a technically diverse way,  and has a plausible
>> roadmap.
>>
>> I would suggest that if we do so, we'd move the current code from
>> sandbox and add Sachin Patel as a committer for the subproject.
>>
>> This is a sensitive issue because of there's a person involved, so
>> if anyone has any issues that need to be discussed confidentially,
>> please feel free to post to pmc@geronimo.apache.org, or mail to me
>> or another PMC member.
>>

> I think it is a bit premature to make this a full fledged
> subproject.  I personally don't use eclipse so I don't know if it
> builds, or is what users want.

Maybe we should hear from people who know the space then.  I hear
that a few people use Eclipse :)

>   For now, I think the sandbox is appropriate place to incubate the
> code and community.   We need to be careful when creating
> subprojects, so we don't end up with lots of abandoned codebases.

I think we'd just dump them if work stopped, just like we do with
other code.

>   I guessing this will happen quickly for the eclipse plugin given
> how many eclipse users there are out there and we will be better
> off for waiting a bit.

Why?

geir

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.