Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/24 01:05:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] Hadoop 2 and Accumulo 1.6.0

To ensure that we get broader community interaction than only on a Jira
issue [1], I want to get community feedback about the version of Hadoop
which the default, deployed Accumulo artifacts will be compiled against.

Currently, Accumulo builds against a Hadoop-1 series release
(1.5.1-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT build against 1.2.1, and 1.5.0 builds
against 1.0.4). Last week, the Apache Hadoop community voted to release
2.2.0 as GA (general availability) -- in other words, the Apache Hadoop
community is calling Hadoop-2.2.0 "stable".

As has been discussed across various issues on Jira, this means a few
different things for Accumulo. Most importantly, this serves as a
recommendation by us that users should be trying to use Hadoop-2.2.0
with Accumulo 1.6.0. This does *not* mean that we do not support Hadoop1
([2] 1.2.1 specifically). Hadoop-1 support would still be "guaranteed"
by us for 1.6.0.

- Josh

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1419
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1643

Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop 2 and Accumulo 1.6.0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
at a lower level, Hadoop 2.2 has some other opportunities too

- Move up the dependencies (inc things like SLF4J, protobuf) to be
consistent.

-co-exist with YARN. That shouldn't take any effort, merely that
a YARN node manager can run on every server node, so that YARN-scheduled
work can be executed on it -code that may want to work with Accumulo.

-deploy under YARN. This is what we are doing with Hoya

-Move to the Hadoop 2 APIs, which for Accumulo means changes in the
filesystem
APIs (FileContext alongside the classic FileSystem). While FileContext
promises
a more consistent set of semantics, I don't see any single tangible feature
in
the API that isn't in FileSystem (I speak as someone who has just
implemented
a new FileSystem implementation for Hadoop 1 & 2)/

- Move to the new "undeprecated" configuration options. This is very much
a committing move, except in the special case that you are referencing
strings in the Hadoop source, and they change in those JARs. (remember,
strings
don't get copied at compile time, only the types where sizeof() < =8 ).
As the deprecated options get migrated, not moving merely adds more
warning messages into the logs. Which you can turn off by cranking back on
the level
of org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.deprecation (Hadoop-9487 by one
Stevel)

The least traumatic options would be
 -stay with the APIs and constants that work with 1.x for now
 -run from the 2.0.5 APIs, switch Hadoop 2 to 2.2.0
 -test and run on it: find bugreps, file them now
 -help us with Hoya -we are drafting it for incubation- so that anyone with
 a Hadoop 2 cluster can bring up an Accumulo cluster on top of it -without
 even needing to talk to ops about it.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop 2 and Accumulo 1.6.0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 24 October 2013 18:01, John Vines <vi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Accumulo isn't going to run in YARN,

Well it can if you want it too - what we are doing with hoya is giving the
option to do without changing the core application.

Some applications (e.g. Samza) are being written from the ground up for
YARN , so they have an Application Master that manages requesting
containers, running code in it, while the code knows it is in an isolated
container (currently: transient dir and cgroup-limited RAM, more limits
coming). But you don't need a complete rewrite to gain from running under
YAR.

Accumulo is very suited to running in YARN; if you look at the list of
things we need from an app to get it to play, it's pretty much complete:
https://github.com/hortonworks/hoya/blob/develop/src/site/markdown/app_needs.md

A key benefit is how you can react to failures. Until now: tserver down:
log it, balance workload. {master, monitor, gc} down: page someone.

In YARN,  all failures become something for the automation to handle: log
it, ask for new instance, balance work back when it is up. You can
downgrade the one-per-application node to that of logged statistics rather
than events that need immediate human intervention,

Detecting a process failure is trivial: it exits and the container does
too. Harder is more byzantine failure modes -what would be ideal would just
be able to go from the ZK data to identifying which service instance needs
to be let go.

What is useful here is getting all the locations of things like web URLs
out of ZK too -as you can't predetermine the host they will be on, and if
you fix the port you may have binding problems.

> it's just a matter of replacing MR
> compatibility with YARN compatibility.

MRv1 code should work with MR-on-YARN : if not, file a bug report

What you do get long term is the option of talking to other services
running in the cluster -and for them to talk to you

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop 2 and Accumulo 1.6.0

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
On the contrary, it actually can. There's an example in the following
repo which I've used to actually run Accumulo on YARN. It's still a
little rough around the edges in some cases, but it does work.

https://github.com/hortonworks/hoya/

Point being though, there's nothing special that Accumulo needs to do
here. The only real concern is the compatibility with Hadoop1 and
Hadoop2 APIs (which is already done).

There are no architectural tradeoffs that I am aware of between hadoop 1
and 2.

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by William Slacum <wi...@accumulo.net>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
I just tested shell stuff

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
> Does Accumulo compiled against Hadoop-1 run against Hadoop-2 w/o
> recompilation

Yes.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To ensure that we get broader community interaction than only on a Jira
> issue [1], I want to get community feedback about the version of Hadoop
> which the default, deployed Accumulo artifacts will be compiled against.

Does Accumulo compiled against Hadoop-1 run against Hadoop-2 w/o
recompilation or visa versa?  If this does not work, then I suppose the
jars we put into central will not work for some users.

Posted by William Slacum <wi...@accumulo.net>.