Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org> on 2015/04/19 17:42:04 UTC

Leaving DeviceMap

Hey, so this is notice that I will be leaving DeviceMap. I will be stepping
down from the PMC and will no longer continue my duties or contribute to
this project.

While there have been a few successful aspects during my time at DeviceMap,
as a whole, my experience here has not been good. The majority of my
problems stem from the constant arguing, unprofessionalism, and personal
attacks from my fellow PMC chair, Werner. Instead of focusing on writing
and releasing software, all my time and energy is spent on how to manage
Werner. This is not what I signed up for. Sorry to be so blunt here, but I
just want to make it clear as to why I am leaving.

I could stick around for another year or so and continue with the constant
arguments, possibly more waves of personal attacks, get into a version war
with the legacy ODDR client, and deal with the constant little reminders of
how ODDR client got everything right. All of this while trying to push
forward with 2.0. I simply choose to walk away.

As for 2.0, I highly encourage this project to pursue 2.0 and evolve, if
they wish. At some point in the future, I will likely branch and continue
my proposed 2.0 work under a different space, name, and version.

Thanks,
Reza Naghibi

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@gmail.com>.
That's a great loss for the project, I am really sorry to hear that.

I hope you would still actively participate in the technical discussions,
which is something that I will definitely be looking for. After all, this
was not your first User-Agent parser implementation and I believe
we still have a lot to learn from you.

Best of luck!

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
A branch (whether 2.x) as you already suggested would simply do.
"perimeter" e.g. having mainly one person contributing to a piece of the
codebase, well, BrowserMap is a good example. There's practically nobody
other than Radu ever touching that. I was hoping to get some odd things or
redundancies like /trunk/project/trunk out of the repository, but it turned
out the way GitHub and Apache SVN are synced there caused this weird
naming. So I rolled back the changes. No fighting or struggeling in that
case, which shows, it mainly comes from just one team member (and it's not
me) where things get less professional and more polemic.

While Eberhard has a similar role as Radu on the .NET side, I used my
recent .NET responsibilities at current clients to test this client and
found bugs or issues. Which are now fixed. Also no false pride or shouting
from Eberhard about these adjustments or him being upset about the first
time people at a conference also saw "his" client.

While it may be not so trivial on the .NET side, for Java and other
languages (just see the Ruby example) having more than one CI instance to
verify each branch should do.

And since DeviceMap isn't the only project I am involved in (despite many
different ideas, just look at Tamaya-dev, you won't find a single case
where anybody there including myself would insult others or rather take
technically sound critique as a personal insult all the time;-) it
introduced a "Sandbox" for new ideas and integrating with other APIs and
frameworks: https://github.com/apache/incubator-tamaya/tree/master/sandbox

That or the "modules" concept also used by DeltaSpike and other projects
would make it relatively easy to separate the modules also by who's
responsible. As long as it builds on a CI server. Tamaya has at least 2
separate branch builds by now, and projects like DeltaSpike have several
dozens. Including some that build only examples.

Cheers,
Werner

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Werner wrote:
>>> Sorry but it was me who managed not only the graduation, but everything
> else.
>
> I really need to chime in here otherwise people might believe these
> statements for truth....

I'm not worried, I don't see how anyone could believe that someone has
done "everything else" here ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Reza/all,

Sounds reasonable. As Bertrand offered to help with PMC chair duties as
suggested it'll take some administrative burden of you and leave room for
actual development.

I assume "branch" means /branches/
<https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/devicemap/branches/> there is an initial
draft under "2.0" already.
Where you refer to "oddr", where's the "data" in this equation?
Do you mean a combination of data(1.x)+W3C implementation+matching examples?
Everything that currently runs aside from BrowserMap relies on 1.x data.

"browsermap" does in fact show, how a separate folder (even with some
iterative structure, due how it was synced with GitHub) can work. And as
long as dependencies are not corrupted that should not be a problem to
separate the W3C compliant parts from others. OpenDDR stopped the API at
1.0.0.27, hence the first official release here is meant to be  1.1.0, to
show it evolved from a 1.0.x of OpenDDR Java client. So a 0.x "sanctuary"
does not sound appropriate. The major versions of data and clients should
also match. After all data is the "crown jewel" of the project.

Maven separates packages so you already have something like
"org.apache.devicemap:devicemap-client" or
"org.apache.devicemap:devicemap-simpleddr".
Note, the "-client" had releases up to 1.1 so far, on the other hand
browsermap is at 1.4 already, and I guess you don't see any reason to
"grant browsermap the 0.4 version" now all of a sudden?;-)

Except browsermap the major version number should suggest which version of
the data it is  meant for. So a client/classifier that evolves or fixes
some bugs under the 1.0 branch ideally should not step to 2.x but  stick to
a version range of 1.2 or above.

There are no strong feelings anywhere above the OpenDDR "freeze" but to
allow it (should it publish maintenance releases) I prefer a 1.1.x version
space (we don''t normally use 4 digits, so strictly speaking it offers
room, as long as it's a 1.x release since 1.x is also the matching data
version)

If we separated the codebase as suggested, it probably makes more sense to
keep "examples" together with subsequent modules.
See "browsermap" a side-effect could be that some of these could get a Git
mirror like Browsermap, too.

I'm not too biased about some tags, at least those under /tags/data do
however document how things were synced up from ODDR earlier. Neither a
strict /branches or /tags on a top level is practiced e.g. by Tomcat:
http://tomcat.apache.org/svn.html It also does not use an extra
/tags/releases level btw. nor do many other projects e.g. Ivy (just another
example: https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ant/ivy/core/tags/) Even "-RC" tags
are usually kept, so I don't see a particular harm in any tags we got so
far. They're a snapshot and frozen.

There's no real difference between what Tomcat calls "archive" and our
"contrib" section. This is the only real "attic" as of now, the name is not
too important, but IMHO we should leave things there like other projects do.

Cheers,

Werner

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Bertrand,

Please do.

I trust you take e.g. the fact into consideration that if the W3C "wrapper"
Reza started is not meant to be trashed, folders like "lib" are shared and
I made them reusable for a good reason (also to minimize the places where
we have to use that carefully drafted notice file;-)
A separate "w3cddr", "simpleddr" or whatever you may name it module would
force duplication and maintenance of the special Maven library plugin, just
to mention one side-effect.
Nobody wants to waste or duplicate efforts, so whenever a W3C wrapper was
compliant to the level W3C expects and could act as drop-in replacement for
those apps and demos that use the W3C API, other variants may simply be
"archived" whatever folder you suggest for that (currently it's "contrib"
but maybe there's a better name) The same happened to "test-data" which I
archived there after everyone confirmed, nobody was using it any more. Yet
Eberhard's 100k or so UA strings may still be of interest so they should
not be deleted either;-)

As Browsermap showed a combination of Git and SVN works to some extent, but
I'm actually more in favor of a first class Git repo.
DeltaSpike (Apache doesn't seem to have such deep level of documentation
yet) shows extremely well how Git should be used:
http://deltaspike.apache.org/documentation/source.html
and in more detail
https://deltaspike.apache.org/suggested-git-workflows.html

That alone gives each responsible person or sub-team freedom, control and
responsibility to merge it back into their "stable" or "master" branch.
If followed by everyone a module-owner is always the one who has to merge
it, or (should Apache support that already?) one may also put Gerrit on top
where the merge is only sanctioned if a certain number of committers/PMC
members vote for the pull-request (a bit like micro-voting if you want,
some ecosystems like Eclipse use it in nearly every project especially the
larger ones;-)

I'll start a thread about Git since the two are not directly related. We
likely won't move everything, see many other Apache projects that did so
for their new development or the entire repository.

Werner

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Reza,

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org>.
Bertrand, PMC members, et al,

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Sorry but you know the one who insists to "kill" and wipe out everything he
does not like is Reza.
(enough mail threads on that)

Neither I nor others take his breathing space, he just prefers to breath
and think in a small box excluding or even fiercly figthing (that's where
things usually got personal from his end) other people's ideas. It was more
than once he just committed stuff without  a proper ballot. The most severe
case ruined data by putting unsolicitated and unapproved class names in
there. The only reason why the DDR client was not out at the time.

And you see in Volkan's roadmap in the thread about his hackathon he
submitted entire patches that Reza didn't even ignore since then. Nor
coming up with suggestions for constructive people willing to help. So
let's hope other new committer candidates aren't scared by that way? At
least outside Apache you see every few months or even weeks some new
clients arise.

They rely on a trustworthy set of data that doesn't change just to please a
single client, API or the person behind it.

No proper Apache (or similar Open Source) project leaves a "scorched-earth
policy" deliberately destroying parts of the codebase just because one or
two team members don't like that part of the codebase, or can you name such
a project?;-)
We all know WURFL did that, but a key reason for our efforts that lead to
DeviceMap is offering an alternative, not act the same way they did again...

Werner

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
You forgot though a (not much bigger but better coordinated and yet more
democratic) team of committers lead by myself contributed ALL of
device-data in the first place;-)
Plus the seed of every example (the Spring and Servlet Filter stuff is
always just a minor variation of the /contrib codebase we brought in from
OpenDDR)

Some blurry visions about "let's rewrite everything in JSON because JSON is
cool now" etc. are not a real solution yet nor has the draft under a 2.x
branch ever happened as Bertrand and others suggested. The short, crisp but
clear 6 bullet points Volkan sent around his hackathon code seem to have
more actual substance than some of the theoretical piece on the Wiki.

No 2.x or 3.x branch would start from scratch, so the most important aspect

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Although I haven't had the chance to be more productive / involved in the
project due to other areas of interest, I'm in favour of finding a
compromise solution that would allow both Reza and Werner to continue
working on this project.

IIRC the main problem stems from supporting the W3C DDR Simple API (through
the legacy OpenDDR client) or implementing a new API, more suitable for the
current times. At the same time DeviceMap never claimed to support the DDR
Simple API - instead the goal was to create a data repository and
eventually an API to consume said data. Therefore I *really* don't
understand why we constantly need to argue about this.

Cheers,
Radu

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Reza,

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...this is notice that I will be leaving DeviceMap. I will be stepping
> down from the PMC and will no longer continue my duties or contribute to
> this project...

That's bad news but I totally understand your position.

When do you want to be replaced as DeviceMap PMC chair? If the project
continues to operate we'll need to elect a replacement, which takes at
least 72 hours for voting.

Although I'm not active technically in this project at the moment, I
have very much enjoyed the bright thoughts and code coming from you.
It's unfortunate that this small community cannot operate efficiently
together, but I guess it makes sense to draw a line at some point, as
you are doing.

Best of luck with your future activities in this space!

-Bertrand

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Gaurav Pruthi <ga...@gmail.com>.
This is really unfortunate

--

Gaurav Pruthi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gaurav_Pruthi

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Also a reason to add a simple but proper "emeritus" section to the team
page.

2 or more initial contributors should not just have been "cut away with a
sharp Rezor" but listed there, too after they have not actively
participated for some time.
Some or all of them are still subscribed to that list, and where things are
done in a less autocratic way here in the near future, who knows,one or the
other might even get back to active state as well.

Werner

Re: Leaving DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Reza/all,