Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Mi...@telekurs.de on 2003/12/09 14:52:52 UTC

Re: German translation mod_imap (with lots of notes about the English version)

> Jedes Verzeichnis oder jeder Dokumenttyp, der für den
> <code>imap-file</code>-Handler konfiguriert wurde (entweder mit
> <directive module="mod_mime">AddHandler</directive> oder mit
> <directive module="core">SetHandler</directive>)
> wird von diesem Modul verarbeitet.</p>

Please insert a comma before "wird".

Sind MIME-Typen "unten offen"? ;-)
"Die Unterstützung 'magischer' MIME-Typen wird jedoch für die Zukunft nicht
gewährleistet; daher wird von der Verwendung dieser Methode abgeraten."

I would prefer "zusätzliche" (= "additional features"), because "new" is a
way
of naming things that will be outdated automatically some day.

> bisherigen Image-Map-Programmen nicht angeboten wurden:</p>

How old is this line? Maybe the English version should be updated as well.

> <li>URL-Verweise relativ zu Referer: information</li>

In this case "Referer:" is a literal that is meant to describe a HTTP
header
(you did that correctly in another situation below).
So the translation should be "URL-Verweise relativ zur Information eines
<code>Referer:</code>-HTTP-Headers".

> mit einer neuen Map-Direktive.</li>

I would prefer to translate the first occurence of "base" in this sentence.
I'm not quite sure but this might work: "Standardmäßige Zuweisung einer
Adressierungsbasis mit einer neuen Direktive <code>base</code>"

I don't consider it helpful that the English version has the first "base"
in
a <code> container while it is rather used as a normal word in the
sentence;
and the English formulation "map directive" sounds ambiguous as well
(would this mean "directive to map something" or "directive of the mapping
module" or what?).

> <li>Punktverweise</li>

This has no understandable meaning without any context, so it should at
least point to some context (using a hyperlink?). But this is a problem of
the English original, not of the translation.

> Formate haben:</p>

I would prefer
"Jede Zeile einer Image-Map-Datei kann eines der folgenden Formate haben"
(replacing "one of several" by "one of the following" in the English
version)

> Paare, die durch Leerzeichen getrennt werden.

"whitespace" is a little more than "Leerzeichen" (= "blank") - it might
cover
TABs as well. So I am not sure whether "whitespace" should be translated.

> Beachten Sie, dass ein nachgestellter Schr&auml;gstrich
> signifikant ist.</p></dd>

Wem nachgestellt? Hier fehlt der Teil "der URL"; ich würde den Satz
umformulieren:
"Beachten Sie, daß ein Schrägstrich am Ende der URL signifikant ist."

> oder <code>rect</code>-Anweisungen brauchbar sind und keine

"brauchbar sind" isn't quite what I would expect here. The default
configuration
is used when none of the other directives _apply_; so I would try to
translate
this like:
"falls die angegebenen Koordinaten von keiner der <code>poly</code>-,
(would be "are not covered by..." in English). "fit" would be "paßt zu" in
German,
but might sound awkward in this context; I would have expected "match" in
English
but this might rather be used in some regular expression context...

> die den Statuscode <code>204 No Content</code> zur&uuml;ckgibt.

"zurückgibt" => "verursacht". (Der kann ja lokal im Apache selbst wiederum
behandelt werden - unter "zurück geben" würde ich "an den Browser"
verstehen.)

> Der Client sollte die gleiche Seite anzeigen.</dd>

The "keep" is missing in the translation; maybe insert "weiterhin" after
"sollte".

> <dd>&Uuml;bernimmt drei bis einhundert Punkte und wird wirksam, wenn die
> vom Benutzer gew&auml;hlten Koordinaten innerhalb des von diesen Punkten
> definierten Polygons liegen.</dd>

Interesting question about the English original: What happens if several
"poly"
overlap each other? Which polygon will be activated - first match or last
match?
This applies to other conflicts as well; the English version only describes
the
evaluation order but not the conflict preference.

> circle
> Takes the center coordinates of a circle and a point on the circle.
Hopefully this means to describe the order of the parameters as well?
(Could be formulated more clearly in the English version.)

> rect Directive
> Takes the coordinates of two opposing corners of a rectangle.
A rectangle isn't specified unambiguously by two points only; only a
rectangle
whose sides are parallel or in 90° angle to the coordinate axes is...

> The values for each of the directives can any of the following:

Typo in the English version: "be" is missing after "can".

> <dt>URL</dt>

I would prefer "Eine <var>URL</var>".

> Bei relativen URLs ist die Angabe  '..' m&ouml;glich,

Nope, but much more: "Relative  URLs dürfen die Angabe <code>'..'</code>
enthalten". (Und zwar beliebig oft - insbesondere auch mehr als einmal!
Solange man den URL-Raum nicht verläßt, kann man überall hin navigieren.)

What about "gleichbedeutend"?

> <dd>Entspricht der URL des Dokuments, auf das Bezug genommen wird.

"the referring document" ist "das bezugnehmende Dokument" (aktiv, nicht
passiv).
Gemeint ist dasjenige Dokument, welches vom Browser einen Mausklick vorher
angefordert wurde; deren URL sendet der Browser (meistens) als
"HTTP-Referer"
mit.

> <dd>Eine Koordinate besteht aus durch Komma getrennte

Please append a "n" to both "getrennte" and "Werte".

> Dieser Text dient als Link, wenn ein Men&uuml; erzeugt wird:</p>

I would prefer "Aus diesem Text wird ein Link erzeugt, wenn...".

> Kommentare in der Image-Map-Datei werden ignoriert. Eine &Uuml;berschrift
> der ersten Ebene wird angezeigt, anschlie&szlig;end eine Hrule, danach
auf

I guess the description would be more understandable if it didn't try to
use meta
names for HTML tags but use the tags itself enclosed in <code> wrappers...
("Hrule" is the "<hr>" HTML tag, the "level 1 headline" is the "<h1>" tag,
...)

<directivesynopsis>
<name>ImapDefault</name>

The order of sections in the German translation is different from the order
in the
English version - why?

> die Vorgabe <code>nocontent</code>, was bedeutet, dass eine
> <code>204 No Content</code>-Nachricht an den Client gesendet

Nicht "Nachricht", sondern ein "HTTP Statuscode" - and it isn't even clear
that it
will actually be 'sent' to the client, it may as well be handled by the
server itself,
via ErrorDocument or whatever. So the 204 status code will be generated -
but
this is probably all we know at this moment.

> <description>Vorgegebene <code>base</code>-Anweisung f&uuml;r

Rather "Vorbelegung des Parameterwertes für die <code>Base</code>
-Anweisung".

> <default>ImapBase http://servername/</default>

In tnis case "http://servername/" isn't a literal but rather a variable
(being replaced
by the actual domain name of the server resp. Virtual Host?), so it should
be wrapped
in <var>. just like in the description following below.

Regards, Michael

(P.S. Does anyone really use server side image maps any more, as browsers
      support

client side image maps for a long time now?)