Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by cs user <ac...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/15 10:50:29 UTC

Enabling PLAINTEXT inter broker security

Hi All,

I'm dipping my toes into kafka security, I'm following the guide here:
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#security_sasl_plain_brokerconfig
 and http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#security_sasl_brokerconfig

My jaas config file looks like:

    KafkaServer {
        org.apache.kafka.common.security.plain.PlainLoginModule required
        username="admin"
        password="admin-secret"
        user_admin="admin-secret"
        user_alice="alice-secret";
    };

I pass the following to kafka on startup to load the above in:

-Djava.security.auth.login.config=/etc/kafka/kafka_server_jaas.conf

I'm using the following for my broker settings, using PLAINTEXT throughout:

    listeners=SASL_PLAINTEXT://host.name:port
    security.inter.broker.protocol=SASL_SSL
    sasl.mechanism.inter.broker.protocol=PLAIN
    sasl.enabled.mechanisms=PLAIN

However when kafka starts up I get the following error message:

Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: unable to find
LoginModule class: org.apache.kafka.common.security.plain.PlainLoginModule

Any idea why I would be getting this error?

Thanks!

Re: Enabling PLAINTEXT inter broker security

Posted by cs user <ac...@gmail.com>.
Just to follow on from this, what is the difference between these two
broker parameters?

listeners Listener List - Comma-separated list of URIs we will listen on
and their protocols. Specify hostname as 0.0.0.0 to bind to all interfaces.
Leave hostname empty to bind to default interface. Examples of legal
listener lists: PLAINTEXT://myhost:9092,TRACE://:9091 PLAINTEXT://
0.0.0.0:9092, TRACE://localhost:9093

port        the port to listen and accept connections on

Can I set both the following? Does it make sense?

listeners=SASL_PLAINTEXT://:9092
port=9092

Posted by cs user <ac...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manikumar Reddy <ma...@gmail.com>.