Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/01 10:26:20 UTC

maven-jar-plugin 2.1: jar.forceCreation

Hi,

I just noticed that the jar plugin uses the property
${jar.forceCreation} as default of the new parameter "forceCreation". I
find this choice most unfortunate.

"Forcing creation" is a very general concept: Almost any plugin could
use it, including compiler, assembly, war, ear, ejb, javadoc, ... If any
such plugin will end using a different property for the same thing, then
it will be almost impossible to do a "forced creation" on the whole
project. Also note, that it is not required to have this property "per
plugin": For example, if I want to rebuild just the jar file, then I can
do so by running

     mvn -Djar.forceCreation=true jar:jar
     mvn install

IMO, a much better choice would be "maven.forceCreation", or whatever.
Is it too late for that?

Jochen

Re: maven-jar-plugin 2.1: jar.forceCreation

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> Or perhaps a well known property instead/in the interim:
>
> <properties>
>   <forceCreation />

The latter point is what I am asking for. In the case of the jar plugin,
the property is jar.forceCreation, which I find unfortunate.

Again, any chance to get this changed? I'd volunteer to create a version
2.1.1 of the jar plugin.

Thanks,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
<build>
   <forceCreation />

Or perhaps a well known property instead/in the interim:

<properties>
   <forceCreation />

Just a thought.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
IMO, if something is to be general, it should be considered for the
POM (like finalName).

- Brett

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1 Sep 06, at 10:17 AM 1 Sep 06, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> I do not understand where you see the problem. If all plugins that
> support switching off an uptodate check honour the same property
> (which of course they wouldn't do now, but AFAIK no plugins have
> implemented that yet, so it is still possible), then it will surely
> work, won't it?

 From plugin configuration from the POM, yes it would work. But I'm
not sure this would work from the command line:

mvn -Djar.forceCreation=false -Dwar.forceCreation=true -
Dassembly.forceCreation=true package

Using name-spaced parameters.

Not sure if you could get the same with default behavior + one property.

> Jochen
>
> --
> My wife Mary and I have been married for forty-seven years and not
> once have we had an argument serious enough to consider divorce;
> murder, yes, but divorce, never.
> (Jack Benny)

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org

Re: maven-jar-plugin 2.1: jar.forceCreation

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> We talked about it on the list and there was well longer then 72
> hours this time. The prefix is for command line use and I asked if
> the new standard could be used and folks agreed.

Jason, I understand completely, that it's my fault to miss this. No
discussion. In other words, if the answer is "too late", then I've got
to live with it.

I also have no problems with your proposal in the thread on "Standards
for Plugin
Parameters". I absolutely agree with you on that.

However, the point I am trying to make is that the "Standards for
Plugin Parameters" makes sense only, if the parameters are specific to
the plugin. Which isn't the case, IMO, for "forceCreation".

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1 Sep 06, at 4:26 AM 1 Sep 06, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that the jar plugin uses the property $
> {jar.forceCreation} as default of the new parameter
> "forceCreation". I find this choice most unfortunate.

We talked about it on the list and there was well longer then 72
hours this time. The prefix is for command line use and I asked if
the new standard could be used and folks agreed.

> "Forcing creation" is a very general concept: Almost any plugin
> could use it, including compiler, assembly, war, ear, ejb,
> javadoc, ... If any such plugin will end using a different property
> for the same thing, then it will be almost impossible to do a
> "forced creation" on the whole project. Also note, that it is not
> required to have this property "per plugin": For example, if I want
> to rebuild just the jar file, then I can do so by running

I'd like to see the logic worked out for all things i.e. what if you
didn't want the JARs in a module recreated but you added something
other then a JAR to an assembly and you wanted that recreated.

We start with the concrete and move the general.

>     mvn -Djar.forceCreation=true jar:jar
>     mvn install
>
> IMO, a much better choice would be "maven.forceCreation", or
> whatever. Is it too late for that?

If you want to work out a parameter that covers everything then write
something up. I'm not sure it's as simple as you think. I would think
there would be instances where you might want a mix and one parameter
isn't going to cover it. Write it up and let folks look at it.

At any rate I annotated the commit, then posted to the list about the
change, and gave probably 144h before I released it.

> Jochen

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org