Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2015/03/03 17:21:42 UTC

Thunderbird Losing UIDs in Folders

I use JAMES 3 b5 with a relatively large mail IMAP database (>500K mail
items) across several accounts.  Most of my clients are using
Thunderbird.  The problem I'm seeing may very likely be a Thunderbird
problem.  But I'm just curious what might be going on. Once every few
days, I'll go to one of the folders in Thunderbird that I have been
accessing regularly and try to open a mail item.  I get a msg from
Thunderbird that says something like "Mail Server responded that UID is
invalid".  From this point on, all mail in that folder is
inaccessible.   I found that the way to fix it is to go the folder
properties in Thunderbird and click "Repair Folder". This basically
wipes the folder contents and re-downloads the folder contents from
James.  Everything is good again until it happens a day or so later on
the same folder or another folder.  I have Thunderbird on several
computers.  This consistently occurs on all instances of Thunderbird.

This is by far not a catastrophic problem. But it is a pain.  I'm just
curious if anyone else is seeing this.  I'm pretty familiar with the
inner workings of James 3 and the James 3 database structure.  Can
someone give me a quick explanation of how the folder UIDs are
generated.  Any idea why the UID would become invalid (unless
Thunderbird just decided to start sending totally corrupted UIDs)?
Finally, is there some quick debug logging parm I can enable the next
time this happens just so I can get a better idea of what invalid UID is
being sent and what James thinks about that uid?  Even it is totally a
Mozilla problem, I'd like to arm myself with some good trace data to
take to Mozilla.

Jerry

Re: Thunderbird Losing UIDs in Folders

Posted by Kurt Harders <ha...@khtronik.de>.
Hi Jerry,

good luck :-). Please post any valuable solution in this thread. I still
have customers using windows.

Regards, Kurt

Am Dienstag, den 03.03.2015, 10:48 -0600 schrieb Jerry Malcolm:
> Thanks for the quick response, Kurt.  I guess I'll start prowling the
> T-bird forums and see if there's any talk about it there.
>
> Jerry
>
> On 3/3/2015 10:38 AM, Kurt Harders wrote:
> > Hi Jerry,
> > i had the same problem with Thunderbird (and some others like sometimes
> > not opening mail with attachment). This class of problems happens with
> > e.g. dovecot imap server too, and its a pure Thunderbird problem. Since
> > i switch to Linux using evolution i never had such problems. The
> > difference seems to be the amount of buffered/locally stored
> > information.
> >
> > Regards, Kurt
> >
> > Am Dienstag, den 03.03.2015, 10:21 -0600 schrieb Jerry Malcolm:
> >> I use JAMES 3 b5 with a relatively large mail IMAP database (>500K mail
> >> items) across several accounts.  Most of my clients are using
> >> Thunderbird.  The problem I'm seeing may very likely be a Thunderbird
> >> problem.  But I'm just curious what might be going on. Once every few
> >> days, I'll go to one of the folders in Thunderbird that I have been
> >> accessing regularly and try to open a mail item.  I get a msg from
> >> Thunderbird that says something like "Mail Server responded that UID is
> >> invalid".  From this point on, all mail in that folder is
> >> inaccessible.   I found that the way to fix it is to go the folder
> >> properties in Thunderbird and click "Repair Folder". This basically
> >> wipes the folder contents and re-downloads the folder contents from
> >> James.  Everything is good again until it happens a day or so later on
> >> the same folder or another folder.  I have Thunderbird on several
> >> computers.  This consistently occurs on all instances of Thunderbird.
> >>
> >> This is by far not a catastrophic problem. But it is a pain.  I'm just
> >> curious if anyone else is seeing this.  I'm pretty familiar with the
> >> inner workings of James 3 and the James 3 database structure.  Can
> >> someone give me a quick explanation of how the folder UIDs are
> >> generated.  Any idea why the UID would become invalid (unless
> >> Thunderbird just decided to start sending totally corrupted UIDs)?
> >> Finally, is there some quick debug logging parm I can enable the next
> >> time this happens just so I can get a better idea of what invalid UID is
> >> being sent and what James thinks about that uid?  Even it is totally a
> >> Mozilla problem, I'd like to arm myself with some good trace data to
> >> take to Mozilla.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
> >>
> >> Jerry

KHTronik - Kurt Harders
Elektronik, Softwareentwicklung, Opensource-Beratung
Leimbacher Str. 36
42281 Wuppertal

T +49 202  2 50 11 64
F +49 202  2 50 11 65