Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com> on 2010/08/12 03:15:18 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Move to become a TLP

Folks,

This question has come up in the PMC once again and would be great to hear once more on this topic. What do people think? Are we ready to become a TLP?

Thanks,
Ashish

Re: [DISCUSSION] Move to become a TLP

Posted by yongqiang he <he...@gmail.com>.
oh. Since it is a TLP, we can have sub-projects instead of contrib. Great!

Posted by yongqiang he <he...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Namit Jain <nj...@facebook.com>.
+1 from me

Posted by John Sichi <js...@facebook.com>.
1) Some of the infrastructure and process transitions necessary to migrate from sub-project to TLP may be disruptive to development projects which overlap with them.  We'll do our best to minimize this via clear up-front communication.

2) The new Hive project management committee (PMC) will take on some activities currently handled within the Hadoop PMC, which may add a bit of overhead.  We don't expect these to be burdensome, and in some cases owning them should allow us to expedite processes (e.g. in the case of adding new committers).

3) I'm not sure to what degree having Hive become a TLP gives it less influence over Hadoop; others who know more can probably chime in on that.

JVS

Posted by Venky Iyer <vi...@facebook.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
I am +1 as well.