Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2024/04/15 13:11:23 UTC

Volunteering for Avro 1.11.4 and 1.12.0 releases

Hi folks,

NB: I'm sending this email with my regular email address ;)

I'm doing a full pass to prepare Avro 1.11.4 and 1.12.0 releases.

I have a question for you: on the main branch (e.g. 1.12.0), I propose
to update the Java source/release target version to 11 (instead of
1.8). I'm testing it right now, and so far so good.

I'm also preparing some updates and cleanup. I will open the PRs today.

Thanks !
Regards
JB

Re: Volunteering for Avro 1.11.4 and 1.12.0 releases

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi folks,

A quick update about 1.11.4 and 1.12.0 releases.

I'm working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-3985 that
it's important to include in the next releases.
I also reviewed Fokko's changes.

I would love to submit the releases to vote by the end of the week ,if
it's ok for you all.

Thanks !
Regards
JB

Posted by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>.
Thanks JB, I'll take at look at the PR.

Can we include #2732 <https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/2732> as well?

Kind regards,
Fokko

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Fokko

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
Hey JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

follow up on this discussion, I created https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/2855

Posted by Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind <os...@westravanholthe.nl>.
+1

--
Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind <os...@westravanholthe.nl>

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 at 11:21, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> (finally I received the email from the list cleanly, w00t ;))
>
> Thanks for pointing the previous discussion.
>
> I think 1.12.0 is OK as it's mostly the Java part that gonna be
> impacted. I think 2.0.0 would make more sense for a spec change
> impacting all languages.
>
> So, I'm proposing:
> - Avro 1.12.0 with Java 11 by default in Java
> - Avro 1.11.4 still on Java 8.
> It makes sense to maintain both to give users the time to update (and
> encourage them to do so :)).
>
> Thoughts ?

+1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Martin,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Andrew Marlow <ma...@gmail.com>.
There are many projects still stuck on JDK-8. I know they shouldn't be, but
they are. I can see an argument for moving to JDK-11 for 1.12.0 but not for
1.11.4.

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 at 14:11, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> NB: I'm sending this email with my regular email address ;)
>
> I'm doing a full pass to prepare Avro 1.11.4 and 1.12.0 releases.
>
> I have a question for you: on the main branch (e.g. 1.12.0), I propose
> to update the Java source/release target version to 11 (instead of
> 1.8). I'm testing it right now, and so far so good.
>
> I'm also preparing some updates and cleanup. I will open the PRs today.
>
> Thanks !
> Regards
> JB

Andrew Marlow