Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Qingsheng Ren <re...@apache.org> on 2022/12/27 08:40:40 UTC

[DISCUSS] Extending the feature freezing date of Flink 1.17

Hi devs,

I'd like to make a proposal of extending the feature freezing date of Flink
1.17 by two weeks, to January 31st, 2023.

With feedback release managers gathered these days and the ongoing
pandemic in China, one extra week would make it easier for developers to
finish their work. Also considering the Chinese New Year holiday from Jan
21st to Jan 27th, we think a two-week extension would be a better option,
which pushes the feature freeze date to Jan 31st.

Any thoughts on this?

Best,
Qingsheng

Re: [DISCUSS] Extending the feature freezing date of Flink 1.17

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.
+1 for extending the feature freeze date.

Best,
Jark

Posted by Xingbo Huang <hx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
+1 for extending to Jan 31

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhu Zhu <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Anderson <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks QIngsheng,

+1 for extending the feature freeze date to Jan 31st.

I'm aware of several feature developing threads that are struggling to
catch the deadline. Extending the freeze date would help avoid
halfly-cooked features and last-minute rushes. Moreover, I believe most of
the contributors from China won't be able to focus on the release testing
anyway until Jan 28th. Thus, the release is probably not postponed by the
extension of the feature freeze as much as it looks like.

Best,

Xintong