Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu> on 2004/01/22 23:00:45 UTC

ANN: Active Learning Environment (Velocity/Java/XML)

This list might be interested in the alpha release of Active Learning
Environment (ALE) at http://virtualschool.edu/ale. Its an ambitious
application of Java, XML and velocity for web-based experiential
learning.

Your comments and suggestions would be MOST appreciated! Still
working on the tutorial and installation instructions but most of the
system is there now.
--
Brad J. Cox, PhD, 703 361 4751, http://virtualschool.edu
   http://virtualschool.edu/mybank Digital Rights Management System

Re: macro libraries

Posted by Ruud Steeghs <ru...@yahoo.com>.
great stuff!
that's the last thing i needed to be convince.
no more jsp; velocity from now on...

Re: macro libraries

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.

Re: macro libraries

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@alaska.net>.
Ruud Steeghs <ru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> are there any macro libraries available e.g. for
> formatting numbers, dates, curriencies, similar to the
> jstl taglibs?
>
> though it wouldn't be such a hard thing to write them,
> i'm pretty sure someone else has already had a need
> for them.

The generic velocity tool NumberFormatTool will do formatting as per
java.text.NumberFormat.
There's also a DateTool.

-Mike

macro libraries

Re: InputEventHandler

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hi Niall,

Sounds like in your case a custom resource loader would be the best bet.
You can specify this independently of the servlet with a property in
velocity.properties, and it applies to getTemplate as well as #include /
#parse.

Although there has been discussion of configuring a event handler in
velocity.properties as well.

WILL

Posted by Niall Gallagher <ni...@analog.com>.
Hi,

[...]

}

Niall

Re: InputEventHandler

Posted by Niall Gallagher <ni...@analog.com>.
Hi

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Jan 23, 2004, at 2:34 PM, Brad Cox wrote:

> At 10:46 AM -0800 1/23/04, Will Glass-Husain wrote:
>> We have an app ( broadcast.forio.com ) that similarly has a number of
>> accounts for which different users upload Velocity pages.  (like your
>> app,
>> accounts are distinguished by pathinfo from the url).  We stuck with a
>> single VelocityEngine for performance reasons, with a few
>> customizations.  A
>> few issues that may be parallel
>
> Is there a performance issue with multiple ones? I'm using one engine
> per course and one servlet shared by all courses. That didn't seem
> excessive but haven't studied it deeply.

The only performance issue I can imagine is multiple resource caches if
you go the canonical route to using it, but you should also be able to
setup a shared cache between multiple engines if such a thing was
needed.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: HSQLDB & Velocity Loader (was ALE)

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Jan 25, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Tim Colson wrote:

> Tim asked, "Why do I need a scary 16MB J2EE SDK for j2ee.jar to do
> datasource template loading?"
> Geir answered:
>> Because it used interfaces found in the jar (DataSources).
>
> Thanks, Will had posted a similar explanation, noting that this
> dependancy goes away with JSDK 1.4.
>
> In the Developer guide, it says the jar-J2EE target is only used for
> the
> DataSourceResourceLoader. But it also looks like jar-J2EE builds okay
> for me with 1.4 without J2EE present - so might be less scary if a
> footnote was added to the guide saying J2EE or JSDK1.4 req'd.

Not a bad idea.

>> If it was named kitten.jar, would that be better?  :D
> +1...although I'm more of a dog person, so perhaps beaglepuppy.jar
> instead. ;-)

LOL

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Jan 23, 2004, at 2:43 PM, Tim Colson wrote:

> I have been using HSQLDB quite a bit lately for local development.
>
> Has anyone implemented (and have examples) of a template loader that
> uses HSQLDB?
>
> The Docs for the DataResourceLoader say it requires j2ee.jar... why is
> that, seems scary.

Because it used interfaces found in the jar (DataSources).  It's just a
jar.  If it was named kitten.jar, would that be better?  :D

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hi,

In JDBC 2.0 this was really the "Optional Extension" for JDBC (with
server-side libraries).
jdbc2_0-stdext.jar

see
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=9020

http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/articles/package2.html

downloadable here:
http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/download.html

But in JDK 1.4 this is part of J2SE.

WILL

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.
At 10:46 AM -0800 1/23/04, Will Glass-Husain wrote:
>We have an app ( broadcast.forio.com ) that similarly has a number of
>accounts for which different users upload Velocity pages.  (like your app,
>accounts are distinguished by pathinfo from the url).  We stuck with a
>single VelocityEngine for performance reasons, with a few customizations.  A
>few issues that may be parallel

Is there a performance issue with multiple ones? I'm using one engine
per course and one servlet shared by all courses. That didn't seem
excessive but haven't studied it deeply.

>First, I was concerned about #include and #parse, so we implemented a
>customized event handler (patch in Bugzilla) to restrict users to only be
>able to include files within their own account.  (it's a little more
>complex, as we also have a system-wide set of includeable files).

I'm assuming (only) faculty do this, by modifying xml/macro files
directly. That seems safe enough for now. Will rethink security if I
ever provide a web interface.

>Second, there's some (solvable) security-related issues to consider if you
>are allowing untrusted users to upload templates. [1]

I'm not (now).

>Third, database initialization in our system done via a singleton wrapper
>class that sets an application-wide boolean flag to indicate the database
>status.  (with appropriate synchronization, of course).  Actually, our apps
>use the Hibernate object persistance library.  Putting O/R objects in the
>Velocity context is an easy way to make data available to template writers.

I'm passing plain 'ol beans. Legacy habit.

>P.S.  Is availability of MySQL really an issue?  My impression is that it's
>standard on most Linux systems, and installable with an "EXE" installer on
>Windows.

That's why its TBD. I want to completely encapsulate (hide) the dbms
in the server app anyway, and the BDB arguments seemed compelling at
the time. Dislike relational DBMS anyway. Looking forward to
returning to the object-oriented style I used with the perl version.
Looking for any excuse I suppose. Its a big boring job to convert all
my beans and the mysql version is working, so I might punt on the
whole thing and stay there.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hi Brad,

[...]

I hadn't thought about the macro issue, but (assuming you wanted to go with
a single VelocityEngine) remember that users can always define macros within
a file that is pulled in with #parse throughout the pages.

Best, WILL

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.
Brad -

Will wrote:
> Thanks for posting this, found it interesting.  Always
> interested to hear about other Velocity apps (especially related to
e-learning).
> I'll download it and take a look, maybe send back some thoughts in a
> personal email.

Ditto. :-)
Timo

Re: Active Learning Environment (Velocity/Java/XML)

Re: ANN: Active Learning Environment (Velocity/Java/XML)

Posted by John Wubbel <jo...@johnwubbel.com>.
Dear Dr. Cox,

I was very interested in your post of 1/22/04 regarding your
announcement of the ALE. I took a copy and thought that perhaps a quick
deployment into my portal would allow me to experiment with it a little.
I was wondering if you were making any progress on the documentation or
had received any off-line comments that were constructive and useful. It
was my belief that ALE was a servlet and therefore should have dropped
right into my Tomcat container. Perhaps I need to give it some more
study time because I did not get it working yet. And because of other
interruptions in business it is hard to get back to it.

If this was intended to be a servlet, then why not take your ant build
process and generate a war file. This might be the easiest way to "drop
and play" in order to minimize installation and configuration.

I was interested in your work for evaluating it as a possible
alternative to other e-learning initiatives for our Enterprise Security
Portal (ESP). Right now the portal securely supports safety and security
incident reporting, messaging and we have the ability to collaboratively
publish and distribute confidential documents. We have been thinking
about the training that goes along with a companies plans, policies and
procedures by using such products as Lectora or RoboHelp. However, I
like the idea of your inventing the experiential approach in your
software toward learning. I am sitting here dreaming about its
application in the corporate world where we are trying to get employees
to become comfortable in situations where they must react to policy and
carry out procedures with the happening of an event.

Also a question, would not the use of ALE courses in a portal
environment solve the problem of separate instant of Velocity engines?
Our ESP and many portlets are all Velocity based so if we were to create
a portlet dedicated to offering a series of courses to an employee
population, the servlet serves all course portlets and an instance of
the engine running should not have a great impact. Unless I am not
understanding in full the architecture of a course and how it executed.

If you have time to comment, I would be interested in learning where you
are at with the ALE docs and deployment. Thank you kindly.

Sincerely,

John Wubbel
Securitydirector, LLC

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.