Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/02 08:20:54 UTC

[ApacheDS] Contexts support

Hi all,

We have a feature listed in the 2.0 roadmap and is currently being
implemented by Emmanuel. It's the "Value and ServerEntry" item. What I want
to ask is that as we are encapsulating attribute values with a Value class
now, is it possible to support Contexts during this effort? You know there
are Language Tags in LDAP and we do not support them. I really do not like
the idea of supporting only Language Tags instead of the more general one,
Contexts. So if we'll support this feature it should be Contexts, not only
Language Tags.

Any comments on the possibility of this addition?

Thanks.

--
Ersin Er
http://www.ersin-er.name

Re: [ApacheDS] Contexts support

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

do you mean 'options', ad defined by the RFC ? Language tags (ie
cn;lang-fr) are named options in RFC. You have two kinds of options :
standard and extended (prefixed by x-).

We can think about the impact of implementing them in term of support
in the alue classes. Let's dig the idea further ...

On 10/2/07, Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think that there is such a draft. But Contexts seem to be mostly an
> implementation matter.
>

> On 10/2/07, Alex Karasulu < akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> > Is there RFC material on Contexts for LDAP? I thought contexts were an
> X.500 concept that never
> > made it to LDAP.  Essentially tags are a workaround to provide similar
> capabilities.  However is there
> > a contexts for LDAP RFC I missed?
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > On 10/2/07, Ersin Er < ersin.er@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We have a feature listed in the 2.0 roadmap and is currently being
> implemented by Emmanuel. It's the "Value and ServerEntry" item. What I want
> to ask is that as we are encapsulating attribute values with a Value class
> now, is it possible to support Contexts during this effort? You know there
> are Language Tags in LDAP and we do not support them. I really do not like
> the idea of supporting only Language Tags instead of the more general one,
> Contexts. So if we'll support this feature it should be Contexts, not only
> Language Tags.
> > >
> > > Any comments on the possibility of this addition?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ersin Er
> > > http://www.ersin-er.name