Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2008/11/03 15:23:35 UTC

Re: ZooKeeper Roadmap - 3.1.0 and beyond.

Congrats on the release.  Now that has been completed, I'd like to see
if you guys are willing to revisit the issue of a maven based build.
If yes, I'd be happy to assist making that happen.

Regards,
Hiram

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> Our first official Apache release has shipped and I'm already looking
> forward to 3.1.0. ;-)
>
> In particular I believe we should look at the following for 3.1.0:
>
> 1) there are a number of issues that we're targeted to 3.1.0 during the
> 3.0.0 cycle. We need to review and address these.
>
> 2) system test. During 3.0.0 we made significant improvements to our test
> environment. However we still lack a large(r) scale system test environment.
> It would be great if we could simulate large scale use over 10s or 100s of
> machines (ensemble + clients). We need some sort of framework for this, and
> of course tests.
>
> 3) operations documentation. In general docs were greatly improved in 3.x
> over 2.x. One area we are still lacking is operations docs for
> design/management of a ZK cluster.
> see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-160
>
> 4) JMX. Documentation needs to be written & the code reviewed/improved.
> Moving to Java6 should (afaik) allow us to take advantage of improved JMX
> spec not available in 5. We should also consider making JMX the default
> rather than optional (ie you get JMX by default when ZK server is started).
> We need to ensure that ops can monitor/admin ZK using JMX.
>
> 5) (begin) multi-tenancy support. A number of users have expressed interest
> in being able to deploy ZK as a service in a cloud. Multi-tenancy support
> would be a huge benefit (quota, qos, namespace partitioning of nodes,
> billing, etc...)
>
> Of course ZooKeeper is open to submissions in that aren't on this list. If
> you have any suggestions please feel free to enter a JIRA or submit a patch.
>

> Additionally I'd like to see us move to an 8 week release cycle. I've
> updated the JIRA version list to reflect this. Due to the holiday season
> approaching I've listed 3.1.0 with a ship date of Jan 19th. (see the roadmap
> on the JIRA).
>
> If you have any questions/comments please reply to this email.
>
> Patrick

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: ZooKeeper Roadmap - 3.1.0 and beyond.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Like I said, ant works fine.  And yes you can hack up your ant build
to push bits to maven repos. But like I said before, there is lots
more to maven than just that.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> However, for those of us, myself included, that do use Maven, could
> Maven artifacts be deployed to the main repository as part of the
> release cycle? That is the binary jar, source jar and javadoc jar?
> It's not necessary to use Maven to do so (though it is easier); the
> Lucene team push releases and they 'still' use Ant.
>
> B.
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Jake Thompson <ja...@jakethompson.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hiram,
>> I actually am just a user of zookeeper, I am not a "member" as of yet.  I am
>> also a user of maven and ant and have been using both for many years.
>>
>> So while I would say it is never a bad decision to move to maven, it isn't
>> always a needed decision.
>>
>> A standard build structure makes sense if you were building zookeeper
>> yourself, but I don't beleive you would be doing that.  So that leaves the
>> creation and building of your own projects like an ear, war, JBI, etc.  The
>> problem with zookeeper is that there is no required project structure.
>> There is no zar that is to say.
>>
>> I personally have a mavenized war project that I am using zookeeper in and I
>> also have a hand rolled CL java program that uses it and is build with ant.
>> For both of these I just needed to copy one jar into my lib.
>> As far as dependency management, since zookeeper is so simple the only
>> requirement is log4j, not really needing any complex dependency tools there.
>>
>> As far as modularity, again I see zookeeper being part of larger modules, so
>> I don't know if we can draw a common modular zookeeper application
>> structure.
>>
>> Maven is a great tool and can help alot, but I personally don't see it as
>> synonymous with modern java development.
>>
>> -Jake
>> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>wrote:
>>
>>> It would help new developers work with your project.  Maven provides a
>>> a broad set of tools that lots of java developers have come to expect
>>> out of a build system.  Incorporating those tools manually into an Ant
>>> based build would be very time consuming and make the build complex to
>>> maintain.
>>>
>>> For example, in addition the standard build and package aspects of
>>> build, folks expect the build system to:
>>> - support generating the IDE integration files (Idea, eclipse, etc.).
>>> - Run static analysis tools like find bugs
>>> - Run test coverage reports
>>> - Deployment to central servers
>>> - License Checking
>>> - Artifact signing
>>>
>>> And most importantly, they want a standard way of doing all that.
>>>
>>> Maven also encourages modularity in the architecture by making it easy
>>> build multiple modules/jar files and easily describing the
>>> dependencies between then.  And once you go modular, you will see how
>>> folks start contributing alternative implementations of existing
>>> modules.  Copying a module and it's build setup is easy to do with
>>> maven..  A bit harder with something like ant since it's kinda

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: ZooKeeper Roadmap - 3.1.0 and beyond.

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
Lucene's top-level build.xml has this;

 <target name="generate-maven-artifacts"
depends="maven.ant.tasks-check, package, jar-src, jar-demo-src,
javadocs">
    <sequential>
      <m2-deploy pom.xml="lucene-parent-pom.xml.template"/>
      <m2-deploy pom.xml="lucene-core-pom.xml.template">
        <artifact-attachments>
          <attach file="${build.dir}/${final.name}-src.jar"
                  classifier="sources"/>
          <attach file="${build.dir}/${final.name}-javadoc.jar"
                  classifier="javadoc"/>
        </artifact-attachments>
      </m2-deploy>

     <more follows>
   </target>

lucene-core-pom.xml.template is this;

<project>
  <parent>
    <groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
    <artifactId>lucene-parent</artifactId>
    <version>@version@</version>
  </parent>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
  <artifactId>lucene-core</artifactId>
  <name>Lucene Core</name>
  <version>@version@</version>
  <description>Apache Lucene Java Core</description>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>
</project>

The maven extension to Ant is pulled in with;

<project xmlns:artifact="antlib:org.apache.maven.artifact.ant">

availability is tested with;

 <available
    property="maven.ant.tasks.present"
    classname="org.apache.maven.artifact.ant.Pom"
  />

and the entire m2-deploy macro is;

  <macrodef name="m2-deploy" description="Builds a Maven artifact">
        <element name="artifact-attachments" optional="yes"/>
    <attribute name="pom.xml" default="${pom.xml}"/>
    <sequential>
      <copy file="@{pom.xml}" tofile="${build.dir}/@{pom.xml}">
        <filterset begintoken="@" endtoken="@">
          <filter token="version" value="${version}"/>
        </filterset>
      </copy>
          <artifact:install-provider artifactId="wagon-ssh"
version="1.0-beta-2"/>

      <artifact:pom id="maven.project" file="${build.dir}/@{pom.xml}" />
      <artifact:deploy file="${build.dir}/${maven.project.build.finalName}.jar">
        <artifact-attachments/>
        <remoteRepository url="${m2.repository.url}">
          <authentication username="${m2.repository.username}"
privateKey="${m2.repository.private.key}"/>
                </remoteRepository>
        <pom refid="maven.project"/>
      </artifact:deploy>
    </sequential>
  </macrodef>

So, you can put Maven shaped artifacts side by side with build.xml and
generate the appropriate artifacts. After that, it's just a question
of getting upload permission to the main repository.

B.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:42 AM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> Fernando Padilla wrote:
>>
>> So it sounds like we're in agreement ( at lease the few in this discussion
>> ).  But have we heard from the actual developers?  What are their
>> preferences or plans?  Or would they like patches?
>
> As I stated earlier in this thread we're planning to stay with ant for many
> reasons, but in particular; 1) current build process works, 2) current build
> is based on how hadoop projects in general (core for example) is currently
> doing builds. By using the same process/toolset we have many benefits - in
> particular being able to essentially "clone" the core release process,
> saving us much time/effort.

There are ate least 4 Apache Top Level Projects that use maven for
releases.  So you could copy any their release processes if that's is
holding you back.

> Patrick
>

>> Jake Thompson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Hiram,
>>> I actually am just a user of zookeeper, I am not a "member" as of yet.  I
>>> am
>>> also a user of maven and ant and have been using both for many years.
>>>
>>> So while I would say it is never a bad decision to move to maven, it
>>> isn't
>>> always a needed decision.
>>>
>>> A standard build structure makes sense if you were building zookeeper
>>> yourself, but I don't beleive you would be doing that.  So that leaves
>>> the
>>> creation and building of your own projects like an ear, war, JBI, etc.
>>>  The
>>> problem with zookeeper is that there is no required project structure.
>>> There is no zar that is to say.
>>>
>>> I personally have a mavenized war project that I am using zookeeper in
>>> and I
>>> also have a hand rolled CL java program that uses it and is build with
>>> ant.
>>> For both of these I just needed to copy one jar into my lib.
>>> As far as dependency management, since zookeeper is so simple the only
>>> requirement is log4j, not really needing any complex dependency tools
>>> there.
>>>
>>> As far as modularity, again I see zookeeper being part of larger modules,
>>> so
>>> I don't know if we can draw a common modular zookeeper application
>>> structure.
>>>
>>> Maven is a great tool and can help alot, but I personally don't see it as
>>> synonymous with modern java development.
>>>
>>> -Jake

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: ZooKeeper Roadmap - 3.1.0 and beyond.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.
I will summarize my vote by echoing what Jake said:

"So while I would say it is never a bad decision to move to maven, it
isn't always a needed decision."

Though Maven hasn't won over everyone yet builds, the idea of a central
Maven Repository for dependency distribution and management has proven
itself and is a very solid and very useful system.  So in the end of
day, use Maven or Ant+Ivy, or whatever, but I vote that you have to
support the central Maven Repository appropriately.

Posted by Jake Thompson <ja...@jakethompson.com>.
Hi Hiram,

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
> [...]

cool.  But in this day and age, using a ant based open source project
is kinda like it was when we used make several years back to build
java projects.  Works fine, but dated.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Jake Thompson <ja...@jakethompson.com> wrote:
> It is quiet around here, I am new, could you please explain why you feel a
> Maven build structure is needed?
>
> Thanks,
> Jake
>

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>wrote:
>
>> Anyone out there?
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Congrats on the release.  Now that has been completed, I'd like to see
>> > if you guys are willing to revisit the issue of a maven based build.
>> > If yes, I'd be happy to assist making that happen.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: ZooKeeper Roadmap - 3.1.0 and beyond.

Posted by Jake Thompson <ja...@jakethompson.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Apache Ivy has also been looked at, I believe Hadoop Core is considering
Ivy for dependency management:

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/

Patrick

Posted by Adam Rosien <ad...@rosien.net>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Anyone out there?

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> Congrats on the release.  Now that has been completed, I'd like to see
> if you guys are willing to revisit the issue of a maven based build.
> If yes, I'd be happy to assist making that happen.
>
> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Our first official Apache release has shipped and I'm already looking
>> forward to 3.1.0. ;-)
>>
>> In particular I believe we should look at the following for 3.1.0:
>>
>> 1) there are a number of issues that we're targeted to 3.1.0 during the
>> 3.0.0 cycle. We need to review and address these.
>>
>> 2) system test. During 3.0.0 we made significant improvements to our test
>> environment. However we still lack a large(r) scale system test environment.
>> It would be great if we could simulate large scale use over 10s or 100s of
>> machines (ensemble + clients). We need some sort of framework for this, and
>> of course tests.
>>
>> 3) operations documentation. In general docs were greatly improved in 3.x
>> over 2.x. One area we are still lacking is operations docs for
>> design/management of a ZK cluster.
>> see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-160
>>
>> 4) JMX. Documentation needs to be written & the code reviewed/improved.
>> Moving to Java6 should (afaik) allow us to take advantage of improved JMX
>> spec not available in 5. We should also consider making JMX the default
>> rather than optional (ie you get JMX by default when ZK server is started).
>> We need to ensure that ops can monitor/admin ZK using JMX.
>>
>> 5) (begin) multi-tenancy support. A number of users have expressed interest
>> in being able to deploy ZK as a service in a cloud. Multi-tenancy support
>> would be a huge benefit (quota, qos, namespace partitioning of nodes,
>> billing, etc...)
>>
>> Of course ZooKeeper is open to submissions in that aren't on this list. If
>> you have any suggestions please feel free to enter a JIRA or submit a patch.
>>

>> Additionally I'd like to see us move to an 8 week release cycle. I've
>> updated the JIRA version list to reflect this. Due to the holiday season
>> approaching I've listed 3.1.0 with a ship date of Jan 19th. (see the roadmap
>> on the JIRA).
>>
>> If you have any questions/comments please reply to this email.
>>
>> Patrick
>>

> --
> Regards,
> Hiram