Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/04/09 18:47:00 UTC

Call for AOO 4.0 translation volunteers via update notification

We talked previously about putting out an update notification for OOo 3.3.0
users, to make sure they are aware of AOO 3.4.1, and that if their language
is not yet translated, let them know how they can help.

My proposed landing page is here:
http://www.openoffice.org/projects/untranslated.html

Since we don't have a lot of time remaining for translation, I focused on
the languages that are more than 90% complete.

Let me know if there are any needed changes to that page.

Otherwise, I'd work with Oliver to get a link to this page sent to clients
via an update notification, for OOo 3.3.0 users  who are using one of the
highlighted languages.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Call for AOO 4.0 translation volunteers via update notification

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Keith N. McKenna <
meriodoc_brandybuck@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> We talked previously about putting out an update notification for OOo
>> 3.3.0
>> users, to make sure they are aware of AOO 3.4.1, and that if their
>> language
>> is not yet translated, let them know how they can help.
>>
>> My proposed landing page is here:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/**projects/untranslated.html<http://www.openoffice.org/projects/untranslated.html>
>>
>> Since we don't have a lot of time remaining for translation, I focused on
>> the languages that are more than 90% complete.
>>
>> Let me know if there are any needed changes to that page.
>>
>> Otherwise, I'd work with Oliver to get a link to this page sent to clients
>> via an update notification, for OOo 3.3.0 users  who are using one of the
>> highlighted languages.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>  Rob;
>
> I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that Gujarati is actually 95%
> complete rather than 05% as on your proposed landing oage.;o)

Fixed.  Thanks!

-Rob

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <me...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 12 April 2013 08:44, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/11/13 6:21 PM, janI wrote:

> we
> > additional
> we
> >>

> >> If we can have the new Pootle available (with no need to rush it of
> > course) we could consider to make the call for translators as soon as
> > Pootle is ready and the 4.0 files are uploaded.
> >
> > Honestly as being one of those who have actually tried 2.5, dont expect
> too
> > much, with our current setup there are very few differences. The
> > differences will be aperant (is that the right word?) when we have
> genLang
> > and svn automatic comit in place.
>
> I think the completely automated svn commit have to be discussed.
>
> Do we really want it? Or is it better to have a process where we
> reintegrate translation on demand or on a regular basis once per month
> or so.

I totally agree, that it have to be discussed, when we are ready for it. I
see a simple chain at the moment:
1) get translate-vm2 online with pottle 2.5rc1 and our 4.0 strings
2) get genLang integrated and tested for helpcontent2
3) get genLang integrated and tested for all modules
4) discuss svn-pottle-poedit workflow
5) make the scripts

so it will take some time before we need that discussion :-)

rgds
Jan I.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/4/10 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:34 AM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> (I

> see

> > 10 days is cutting it a bit short, something like 2 weeks sounds better.
> > have to get 2.5 installed, and the configuration of the current vm is not
> > as documented/straight forward as it could have been.

> > There has been an offlist discussion, and consensus is that we need to
> test
> > this caredully once I think it works, therefore it will not be released
> for
> > 4.0
> >
> > We might releasee it for helpcontent2 (8 files instead of many), that
> > depends on my capability to dig out the last build system problems.

> files.
> > >
> > Same as 3.

> > makes
> > future)
> large
> > >
> > > I would avoid any bigger change in parallel to the 4.0 translation.
> Once
> > > we have the sidebar branch on trunk we should first check how big the
> > > changes are compared to 3.4.1
> > >
> > I agree, but only due to the time frame constrain. I think it would be
> > better to have the po file change in 4.0 where everybody expects changes
> > not backwards compatible, but that would problaly delay 4.0 a month.
> >

> Another option is to put off the push for more languages.  So with 4.0 we
> just work to update the languages we already have, but bring in additional
> languages later.  This might be done as a "second edition" of 4.0, as we
> did with the additional 3.4.1 languages.

+1

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2013 7:05 PM, "Rob Weir" <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > 3.3.0
> > > language

> focused on

> > > I like the page, but would it be possible to have link or something to
> > > full list of languages, and maybe sort the list.
> > >

> > I link to Pootle in the last paragraph, and the user can then sort it
> > however they want.  Note that points to the 3.4 project in Pootle.  I
> don't
> > see anything for 4.0.
> >

> > > you miss danish and german at least, remember we have new texts for 4.0
> so
> > > no language is 100%.
> > >

> > Yes, but that will be a different communication via the L10n list, for
> > languages where we already have translators.  My main focus here is to
> > reach out via new means to those who, we have not been successful
> reaching
> > in other ways.  We'll need to try a few things, mailing list, blog post,
> > etc.
>
> hmmm as far as I know there are no danish translators, our long delay with
> 3.4.1 costed motivation.

Regardless, this page is for languages not supported in AOO 3.4.1.  Thus
the opening paragraph mentioning that they are running an older version of
OpenOffice.org.    We'll reach out to translators for Danish and other
languages already supported via other means.  It will be far easier to
motivate existing translators familiar with the process than to onboard
someone who has never done this kind of thing before. So it does not make
sense to recruit for Danish via a universal appeal, at least not initially.

-Rob

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.