Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/23 16:27:48 UTC

[wiki] Migrate to the new moinmoin wiki farm!

Especially now that xml-graphics and Xalan are moving on to become
their own top-level projects (yay!) let's use this time to actually get
all the rest of the xml-related projects off of the old wiki
installation and onto the new moinmoin-based one.  Heck, several of our
projects don't even have enough data on the old wiki to be worth
migrating, so for some this should be easy!

* Questions about the new wiki?
http://wiki.apache.org/general/UseModMigration/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

* Want to request a new wiki?  With or without migrating old data.
http://wiki.apache.org/general/HowToMakeWikiAdminRequests

Note: if your project does not regularly use a wiki, then don't request
a new one.

* Why should we do this now?
Because the longer we wait, the more wiki spam we have on the old wiki.
 From the PMC perspective, this is *our* responsibility, and one that
is not being addressed (except by Stefan, who's been trying to remove
the spam... thx!)

Personally, with my PMC hat, I'd like to see all XML-related projects
off the old wiki by the end of ApacheCon-US.  If we can't do that, then
I will to ask the PMC to simply request that infrastructure tar.gz all
our old wikis and then delete them.

=====
- Shane

<eof .sig="Go Sox!  And Come to ApacheCon!" />

Re: [wiki] Migrate to the new moinmoin wiki farm!

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Shane Curcuru wrote:
> Especially now that xml-graphics and Xalan are moving on to become
> their own top-level projects (yay!) let's use this time to actually get
> all the rest of the xml-related projects off of the old wiki
> installation and onto the new moinmoin-based one.  Heck, several of our
> projects don't even have enough data on the old wiki to be worth
> migrating, so for some this should be easy!
>
> * Questions about the new wiki?
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/UseModMigration/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> * Want to request a new wiki?  With or without migrating old data.
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/HowToMakeWikiAdminRequests

s/request/create/g

Each project would have people with "apsite" permissions,
so they can do it. There are not sufficient people at
Infrastructure.

--David

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Oct 24, 2004, at 4:14 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Just look a little harder:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?RecentChanges
>
> There are hard-working helpers in the background removing the spam as
> it
> appears almost every day.
>
> On 24.10.2004 00:58:29 Clay Leeds wrote:
>> I just looked at the FOP wiki, and I don't see any problems with it. I
>> didn't notice any spam or inappropriate content.

So where do we go from here on this issue? Sounds to me like we should
place a notice at the top and/or bottom of the wiki that says it has
been locked, and then copy the wiki over to a server which can be
secured. Perhaps that thinking is a bit naive (especially since I
haven't used our wiki for much besides browsing anyway).

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: [wiki] Migrate to the new moinmoin wiki farm!

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Sorry,

I looked at the link:

> * Questions about the new wiki?
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/UseModMigration/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

and it indicates they've backed up the file. I guess that page is
rather old (not to mention those old FOP wiki files...). Maybe I'm a
bit too 'eager' to help! ;-)

Thanks for the heads up.

On Oct 24, 2004, at 4:14 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Just look a little harder:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?RecentChanges
>
> There are hard-working helpers in the background removing the spam as
> it
> appears almost every day.
>
> On 24.10.2004 00:58:29 Clay Leeds wrote:
>> I just looked at the FOP wiki, and I don't see any problems with it. I
>> didn't notice any spam or inappropriate content.
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: [wiki] Migrate to the new moinmoin wiki farm!

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > The trouble is that i suspect that people have
> > been enhancing the content of the old nagoya wiki
> > and others might have enhanced the copy at
> > http://wiki.apache.org/old/
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/old/ is read-only, so that's probably not the
> case :-D

Ah, thanks. That is good.

Where is the script that does the UseMod conversion?

--
David Crossley

Re: [wiki] Migrate to the new moinmoin wiki farm!

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> The trouble is that i suspect that people have
> been enhancing the content of the old nagoya wiki
> and others might have enhanced the copy at
> http://wiki.apache.org/old/

http://wiki.apache.org/old/ is read-only, so that's probably not the
case :-D

- Leo

Re: [wiki] Migrate to the new moinmoin wiki farm!

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Just look a little harder: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?RecentChanges
>
> There are hard-working helpers in the background removing the spam as it
> appears almost every day.

This is a terrible waste of volunteer time.
This is why we need to close the old wiki down ASAP.
The new one is much better controlled.

People were encouraged to move. The migration
tool was run once a long time ago to create
http://wiki.apache.org/old/

The trouble is that i suspect that people have
been enhancing the content of the old nagoya wiki
and others might have enhanced the copy at
http://wiki.apache.org/old/

Anyway, someone should run the conversion script again, then
immediately remove the old Wiki and put .htaccess to redirect.
Then each project would need to set up its default Moin Wiki
and then move pages from the conversions. This can be done
server-side.

Then people can help to clean up the converted stuff in Moin.
That is what we did with the Cocoon migration. A few of us
did some grep on the server. Others cleaned via the interface.

Project PMCs need to take charge of this. There are not
sufficient people at Infrastructure to do it.

There are some notes at

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I just looked at the FOP wiki, and I don't see any problems with it. I
didn't notice any spam or inappropriate content. Mind you, it was just
a quick eye-ball of the wiki info on minotaur:

  /www/wiki.apache.org/data/old/data/text

I downloaded *FOP* and looked, but didn't see anything. I'd like to
spend some more time on it (and perhaps have another pair of eyes to
look at it :-)).

I'd be happy to create (or help create) the Apache XML Graphics Project
Wiki (or a common one with Apache XML Project Wiki). I'll help however
I can.

On Oct 23, 2004, at 7:27 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
<snip>
> * Questions about the new wiki?
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/UseModMigration/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> * Want to request a new wiki?  With or without migrating old data.
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/HowToMakeWikiAdminRequests
>
> Note: if your project does not regularly use a wiki, then don't request
> a new one.

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: [wiki] Migrate to the new moinmoin wiki farm!

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I just looked at the FOP wiki, and I don't see any problems with it. I
didn't notice any spam or inappropriate content. Mind you, it was just
a quick eye-ball of the wiki info on minotaur:

  /www/wiki.apache.org/data/old/data/text

I downloaded *FOP* and looked, but didn't see anything. I'd like to
spend some more time on it (and perhaps have another pair of eyes to
look at it :-)).

I'd be happy to create (or help create) the Apache XML Graphics Project
Wiki (or a common one with Apache XML Project Wiki). I'll help however
I can.

On Oct 23, 2004, at 7:27 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
<snip>
> * Questions about the new wiki?
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/UseModMigration/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> * Want to request a new wiki?  With or without migrating old data.
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/HowToMakeWikiAdminRequests
>
> Note: if your project does not regularly use a wiki, then don't request
> a new one.

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>