Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas Wachowski <an...@gmx.de> on 2003/05/08 17:30:11 UTC

Page numbers in PDF

Hello,

I have a docbook document converted to FO and to PDF via FOP (0.20.4). The
document contains two page number sequences. One for the title page and table
of contents in small roman numerals; another for the remainder of the
document in arabic numbers. So far so good.

The resulting PDF however numbers the pages from first to last page in just
one sequence. In particular, when I (use Acrobat reader and) look at the
table of contents and would like to jump to e.g. page 5, I cannot type CTRL-N 5,
but instead I have to manually add the offset of the first pages (title page
etc.) to arrive at the correct page.

I have seen at least one PDF document (the C++ ISO standard) in which this
problem was solved. CTRL-N displayed two sequences of page numbers, first the
roman, then the arabic ones - the PDF page numbers matched the page numbers
displayed in the document.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me out on this topic.

Many thanks,

Andreas

Re: Page numbers in PDF

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Andreas,

In all of the PDF documents I've seen (mostly electronic manuals for
programs for Adobe and others) I've always seen the number of pages work
the way you describe (all pages counted together & requiring an offset).
In fact, the window at the bottom of Acrobat shows the page number
you're on out of the total. I've never seen otherwise, and would dearly
love to be shown I'm wrong. Can you provide a URL to a PDF file that has
this otherwise (an attachment might be a faux pas ;-p)?

I just went through every PDF I have (including the ones from Adobe) and
they all count the number of pages inclusively. There are no separate
numbering systems when I do a Ctrl+N.

Clay

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com