Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by pl...@netscape.net on 2002/07/18 02:07:17 UTC

Using a variable as a method name

This has probably already been asked before, but I looked around for
a bit and couldn't find the answer.  Is it possible to do something like:
   $a.$b()
and have velocity insert the return value of method $b on $a?

--Paul

Re: Using a variable as a method name

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 7/17/02 10:16 PM, "Daniel Rogers" <ii...@acm.org> wrote:

>> It won't work.
>
> Whoops, missed the $ in front of the b. However, $a.b() should work,
> unless I'm missing what the original goal was.

$a.b() will work.  It think the original goal was to have interpolation to
do things like have $b hold the property name to be invoked on $a.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.

Re: Using a variable as a method name

Posted by Daniel Rogers <ii...@acm.org>.
On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:07:03PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 08:07:17PM -0400, plynchnlm@netscape.net wrote:
> >>    $a.$b()
>
> It won't work.

Whoops, missed the $ in front of the b. However, $a.b() should work,
unless I'm missing what the original goal was.

Daniel

Re: Using a variable as a method name

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 7/17/02 8:28 PM, "Daniel Rogers" <ii...@acm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 08:07:17PM -0400, plynchnlm@netscape.net wrote:
>> This has probably already been asked before, but I looked around for
>> a bit and couldn't find the answer.  Is it possible to do something like:
>>    $a.$b()
>> and have velocity insert the return value of method $b on $a?
>>
>> --Paul
>
> Give it a try :-) If $a is referencing some object in the context with a
> method b (that takes no arguments), then it should work.

It won't work.

Velocity should parse that to be

$a
.